The Miserable Mill [5]

Start from the beginning

"Well, I would, but I've got an appointment,"

"I don't understand," Klaus said as he came up to Violet. "Everyone is staring at me like I'm a pariah. 'Paria' means 'outcast',"

"Klaus, it's you," Violet sighed in relief.

"What happened to Phil?"

"I'm okay," Phil said as he was rolled out.

"We need to talk," Violet told him

***

"I can't believe it," Klaus said as he, Violet, and Sunny sat on a bunk bed after Violet explained what had been going on.

"It does sound like something from a scary movie," Violet said.

"I believe that part. I read the Encyclopedia Hypnotica last year. I can't believe I hurt Phil. And I almost hurt you, Sunny. I didn't mean to,"

"I know," Sunny babbled.

"Charles will be back soon." Violet said "He wants to help us,"

"No." Klaus negated "If Dr. Orwell did something to my brain, I have to fix it,"

"You can't go back there. It's too dangerous,"

"I don't care. I have to know and besides you said Fia's here, we have to help her,"

"What if you get hurt?"

"What if I cause another accident and hurt more people? You're the one that wanted to stay here. You wanted to find out what our parents were doing in this town,"

"And I'm sorry I put us in danger. I don't know why they blame our parents for the fire, and I don't care anymore. I just want you to be safe. Count Olaf is here. We have to leave,"

"And we will but not without Fia and when I get back from Dr. Orwell's," Klaus walked out of the room.

Violet picked up Sunny and followed after her brother. "What's that thing Samuel Beckett said?"

"I can't go on. I'll go on,"

"Let's go on. Together,"

***

Klaus, Violet, and Sunny stood outside the optometrist building. Klaus lowered an outdoor stairwell so the three could enter the building undetected. Klaus opened a window on the upper floor to allow them access.

"I'm so sorry to keep you waiting," Dr. Orwell announced as she came towards the room the Baudelaires were in.

The Baudelaires quickly walked up another set of stairs to avoid her.

"Partner trouble." Dr. Orwell explained "But you'd know all about that, Charles,"

"Yes, sir," Charles said robotically.

"She has Charles," Violet whispered.

"Now, Charles, would you like to look at the screen and tell me what you see?" Dr. Orwell changed the picture to a picture of the Baudelaires.

"Orphans," Charles said.

"Dangerous orphans. Charles, don't you think your partner and you would be a lot happier without these orphans around?"

"We could finally be happy without those orphans around,"

"She's hypnotizing him," Klaus realized.

"You will awaken from your trance when I say the word..."

"Charles..." Shirley said as she came into the room "would you like to do your impersonation of a chicken?"

Charles began clucking.