The Miserable Mill [3]

Violet and Sunny hurried into the library.

"We better hurry, before the foreman realizes we're gone," Violet looked back towards Sir's office "Or before Sir gets back," she placed Sunny on a chair. "They're all the History of Lucky Smells Lumbermill. Who would want so many copies of the same book?" Violet took out a copy and noticed the picture on the back and scoffed as she noticed it was Sir. "Of course." She placed the book on the table and flipped through the pages "Whenever Klaus reads a long, difficult book, the first thing he does is reads the table of contents. Chapter 12. The Paltryville Fire." Violet flipped to the page only to see a majority of it was redacted "The Baudelaires were unequivocally responsible..." she looked over at Sunny "The rest is crossed out," Violet grabbed another copy only to see the same had been done "This one's crossed out, too," she went through a ton of copies until she found one "This one's not crossed out," Violet heard the door open and quickly ran to grab Sunny and they hid behind the chair. She watched as Sir ripped out the page of the only unredacted copy.

"Sir, your goat cheese and beef jerky omelet is ready," Charles called out.

"We have to get out of here," Violet whispered to Sunny.

"Found something," Sunny babbled as she showed Violet a book.

"A dictionary. But why are you showing this to me? You can't read,"

The quote that Sunny found scrawled on the inside cover has been said by many of my true father's associates over the years. It goes...

Violet opened the book "In every library, there is a single book that can answer the question that burns like a fire in the mind.'"

It wasn't the quote that caught Sunny's eye, nor was it the reference to the fire that set Violet's heart racing. It was the handwriting. For when Violet saw the strong left lean of the L's, and the confidently closed loop of the O's, she knew who wrote it even before she saw the name on the library checkout card.

"Bertrand Baudelaire," Violet read.

Or as Violet and Sunny knew him...

"Father!" Violet cried.

"Da-da," Sunny babbled.

***

Klaus sat next to Phil, as they waited for Dr. Orwell.

Phil began whistling along to the music.

"Klaus Baudelaire," Dr. Orwell greeted causing the two to stand up.

"You're Dr. Orwell?" Klaus stammered.

"Yes, I'm sorry to keep you waiting. I was on my lunch hour. Looks like somebody broke their glasses,"

"See? Perfectly friendly," Phil told Klaus.

"Well, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar,"

Klaus took off his glasses "Actually, you catch the most flies with manure,"

"Aren't you smart? It's just an expression. A fancy way of saying you're more likely to get what you want by acting in a sweet way, than in a distasteful way, like vinegar," Dr. Orwell took Klaus's hand and led him away. "Wave goodbye to your friend,"

"Goodbye?"

Dr. Orwell snapped on her gloves as she sat Klaus down in an examination chair.

"Is this really necessary to fix my glasses?" Klaus questioned.

"An eye exam is standard procedure for all my patients," Dr. Orwell explained as she moved some devices around "You look nervous,"

"Father always said he didn't trust optimists or optometrists,"