The Miserable Mill [4]

Seeing in black and white is a way of saying that a person looks at the world in a manner that is oversimplified and often incorrect. Like many newspapers, the Daily Punctilio is printed in black and white, and its look at the world is oversimplified and often incorrect. The death of noted scientist Uncle Montgomery was not due to snake allergies. The destruction of Aunt Josephine's home was not the work of a cabal of real estate agents.

I am sorry to say that there was not a terrible accident at the Lucky Smells Lumbermill during the Baudelaires' time there.

There were two. It is my duty to report these events correctly, the way they actually happened. But if you prefer to look at the world in black and white, then you should change the color of your screen or pick up a newspaper instead. Because I know the shocking truth behind the accidents at the Lucky Smells Lumbermill, and I can assure you... it's better if you can't read.

"Thank you. I can see," Klaus said once Shirley put the glasses on him.

"Well of course you can," Dr. Orwell explained "I'm an excellent optometrist, no matter what the medical board says,"

"Well, hello, little girls. What are your names?" Shirley questioned as he looked at Sunny and Violet.

"You know our names, and that wig and that lipstick don't fool us," Violet seethed

Shirley gasped "I don't know what you're talking about. I'd Dr. Orwell's receptionist. My name is Shirley,"

"You mean Shirley Count Olaf?"

"Actually, my last name is St. Ives," Shirley corrected, "It says so on my name tag, see?"

"Nametag schmametag," Sunny babbled.

Violet looked between Klaus and Fia "What have you done to Klaus and Fia?"

"You were right," Dr. Orwell said "These children are horribly impolite,"

"They really should be more careful, Dr. Orwell," Shirley said "If they were to do something impolite to me, like, for example, call me by the wrong name, I would have to do something impolite to them, like, for example, tear their hair out with my bare hands. Cookie?"

A horn honked as Sir and Charles came up in a two-person bicycle.

"What's all this?" Sir questioned, "I don't pay you in gum to stand around gabbing!"

"Oh, hello, children," Charles panted "I hope you're having a nice visit with the optometrist,"

"Charles, you have to listen. This woman is a notorious villain," Violet warned "and she's holding our friend hostage." she looked over at Fia "And she's not a woman,"

"Nonsense!" Sir declared "Dr. Orwell has provided free eye exams to Lucky Smells employees for years. And there's nothing villainous about free healthcare. Clearly, she's a woman. Look at her pantsuit,"

"I'm surprised at you, Baudelaires," Charles said "Women can be doctors just as men can be receptionist,"

"I'm talking about the receptionist," Violet argued.

"Hi, I'm Cookie. Shirley?" Shirley said only for Dr. Orwell to nudge her "I'm Shirley. Cookie?"

"Don't mind if I do," Sir reached over only for Shirley to close the lid.

"Did you consider our little proposal?"

"What proposal?" Charles questioned.

"It doesn't concern you, Charles," Sir grunted.

"Doesn't concern me? I'm your partner,"

Dr. Orwell intervened "I...I haven't seen you in my chair,"

"I have excellent vision,"

"Well, vision changes." Dr. Orwell leaned closer to Charles' face "Just as I suspected. Cloudy, dull. What color is this newspaper?"

"Hmm, black and white?"

"And color-blind, too. You must come to see me right away,"

"Can't have a cloudy, dull-eyed partner." Sir said "How would you make my omelets? Now, ladies, would you like a ride?"

Shirley chuckled "Handsome and a gentleman,"

"Pleasure,"

Fia went to go with them only for Violet to catch her arm.

"Fia!" Violet called out.

Fia looked back at Violet in confusion.

"Fia! Come along darling," Shirley called out.

Fia put on a smile as Violet let her go "Coming!" Fia was placed on Shirley's lap.

"Let's go, Charles," Sir ordered.

As the bike went off Shirley sent the Baudelaires' a knowing smirk.

"What a nice lady," Klaus said.

"Lucky Smells visiting hours are over," The foreman claimed over the PA system as a horn blared "Get back to work!"

"Yes, sir,"

Violet sighed as she looked after her brother.

***

"Lucky Boy, would you like to turn on the stamping machine?" The foreman questioned as Klaus walked into the mill.

"Yes, sir," Klaus took a seat at the machine and began working it.

"Klaus?" Violet called out as she ran into the mill, still holding Sunny.

"What's wrong with Klaus?" Sunny babbled.

"I wish I knew,"

Phil walked up to Violet "There's nothing to worry about." he pointed at Klaus "Your brother is smiling,"

"He would never operate a machine without reading the manual first,"

"He's operating it perfectly." Phil held a thumbs up to Klaus "You're doing great, Klaus!"

"Move as fast as you can and then move faster!" The Foreman ordered.

Violet helped Phil push some more boards to Klaus. "Count Olaf and Dr. Orwell did something to Klaus, and I fear they did the same to Fia. They're not themselves. One moment he's normal, and the next...he's like a zombie,"

"I saw a scary movie like that once," Phil said.

"Was it Zombies in the Snow?"

"What? No. It was Hypnotists in the Forest. To be honest with you, I didn't really get it. But I loved the fact that it was in black and white,"

"Focus, lumber minions!" the Foreman exclaimed.

"Did you just say hypnotists?" Violet asked.

"Cheer up. I'm sure that if you look on the bright side..."

"Look on your right side!" A miller called out as Klaus was swinging hooks around on the machine, causing it to hit workers.

"Get out of the way!" A worker exclaimed

"Uh oh?" Sunny babbled.

"Code red! Code red!" The Foreman called out.

Klaus pulled wires out of the machine causing it to go even more haywire.

"Ah!" Violet said as she fell to the ground

Phil fell onto the pile of lumber just as the stamp was beginning to come down. He screamed.

Many people think hypnosis is only in scary movies. Those people are wrong. The Encyclopedia Hypnotica tells of a woman who, whenever she'd hear the word omelet, would cluck like a chicken. And a man who, upon hearing the word Nero, could suddenly play an instrument he'd never studied. The Encyclopedia Hypnotica does not mention the fatal accident that happened during the Baudelaires' time at Lucky Smells Lumbermill. Fatal is a word here which means caused the death of one person who...is my solemn duty to inform you...was not Phil

A Series of Unfortunate Events (A FANFIC based off the Netflix series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara