chapter twenty-four

Start from the beginning

Ibrahim drove the car to the bank first, to solve the problem once and for all. He did ask the manager to prepare the house documents and was adamant about paying the loan altogether today, but what he didn't expect was Mawra to be so uptight about it.

"No, Ibrahim. I can't accept that. It's so much money." she muttered exasperatedly.

He gave her a look, "why didn't you say that you were having trouble paying the loan, huh? I thought we had an agreement to share stuff." She could see the hurt in his voice and squeezed his hands lightly.

"Did you ever think, why I never took any holiday during the past two years, despite working like crazy?" When he had no reply to that, she continued, "every day's pay was important to me, Ibrahim. I worked hard to pay the loan."

"I took your job just to buy a house for my parents and their reactions as I gave them the key was priceless, Ibrahim. Best day of my life, but as I was getting married to you I had to take a months holiday and there was no salary during that time."

"The manager excused as it was my first time, and that month's due was carry forward to the next month. And again, I took three weeks holiday for our honeymoon. So, couldn't pay it properly for three months straight now."

"I'm so mad at you."

"I transfer some money to your account every month. What happened to those?" her silence has only increased his anger.

"Seriously Mawra. When you had money, you could simply pay. What was the need to listen to his stupid taunts? I can't tolerate anyone talking with you like that, not even your own sister. Why do you keep giving them chances? You could have just used the money I give you. Why only your salary?" Ibrahim asked in annoyance, she slightly flinched at that.

"Did you even touch the money I give you?" The silence from her side only provoked his anger further.

"I wanted to pay it through my money..." She mumbled whilst fidgeting with her hands, her gaze looked anywhere but him. He stopped the car at once and turned to face her with furious eyes and said, "you frustrate me like no other, Mawra Ibrahim..."

"Listen to me carefully, Mawra. You are mine and I am yours." he held her chin tightly and made her look at him, his grey eyes screamed possessiveness, "which technically means, everything which belongs to me is yours."

"There is no my money or your money. Whatever I earn. I earn it for my family, and you're a vital part of my family. Stop differentiating it."

"Its not like that, Ibrahim."

"Then what is it, explain? You had more than enough money with you. I am sure you haven't spent a single penny of it, why'd you do that?" he lost his cool and snapped at her.

"I wanted to pay it through my own earned money. You won't understand, its just. I can't explain."

"Shall we go home then?" his voice was cold and distant.

"People called me a gold digger today, Ibrahim." Mawra's voice was barely a whisper as she shut her eyes close, fighting off a tear.

"Their words shouldn't matter, Mawra. They always have something to say. Most of the time its just bullshit." his voice instantly became soft and caring. She smiled at him sadly.

"I know, but it does. If I accept your money and let you pay my loan, I'm just proving their point."

"What they say doesn't define us in any way."

"We are not answerable to anyone but Allah. Their opinions should never be our priority, Mawra. Whatever I earn, its yours. Their words should never matter to you." Ibrahim leaned in and kissed her forehead as she shut her eyes close and hugged him slowly, "you're too good, Ibrahim." she whispered against his chest and they remained silent for a while, before pulling apart.