Peas

Hela sat on her bed, watching the Asgardian sunset from her view of the balcony. She was tense with worry. Fritjof's voice lingered in her head as though he were truly just beside her. The same words spoke to her each time. "Like Death."

What on earth was that supposed to mean? Hela didn't think she smelled of death. She frowned and looked over at Fenrir who was lying across her bed lazily. "Fen?" she asked, "Do you think I smell like death?"

The wolf raised his head at his sister's questioning and tilted his head, offering her only a small whine. "I didn't think so, either," Hela grumbled and laid back on the bed to stare at the ornate ceiling. It was all just a joke, she assured herself. Frit was only teasing her. That had to be it.

He didn't mean anything by it. He just likes to make fun. That's all.

Hela sighed and rolled on her side. She stared at the wall, aware of her brother tugging at her foot, aware of his whining, but too disturbed to look at him or pay him any mind. "Like death," she whispered, "That lying cat. That's all he is. Right?"

Another whine from Fenrir. She smiled meekly and sat up. "Right," she answered herself. "All right. I'm going to go find Father." She stood up, going to the bathroom and brushing out the raven tresses. Before she left the room, she spritzed herself with the floral perfume on the counter.

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Loki had grown a love for the gardens. It was a pond that he had grown what could almost be described as an obsession in the eyes of others. Hela found him there. She stepped lightly through the gardens. The sun was warm on her pale skin, and refreshing after the cold winter. For a while Hela his behind the rose bushes and watched Loki stare into the cool pond as if he were searching for something. She stepped out on light feet. "What's so special about the pond, Father?"

Loki looked up and smiled at her. He held out his hand to her. "It holds lots of memories, Hel," he said softly. She walked over and took his hand, sitting with him and staring down at the clear water. She could see the bottom of the crystal pond.

"It's good to be back," she murmured. "I've missed this place. I've missed you." She leaned against her father's shoulder and reached down, placing her fingers in the water. It was cool. "They keep moving us around. Director Fury says there's nothing to worry about, but I don't believe that."

"You think something is wrong?"

"I think something is about to happen. That's all." She shrugged and pulled her fingers from the cool water. Smiling, she turned and flicked the droplets at Loki, who wrinkled his nose and chuckled.

"I'll throw you in that pond," he warned teasingly. He smiled. "How are your classes?"

Hela blew out a puff of air. "I'm doing well in them. That doesn't necessarily mean I enjoy them. Math is the worst subject of all." She rolled her eyes. "I don't care about square roots, and I don't care about pi." She laid her head on Loki's shoulder. "Speaking of classes, I've been meaning to ask you something, Father."

Loki hummed in reply. "And what would that be?"

"Well, I've gotten older now, Father. And my powers have gotten stronger. My magic is getting stronger, I feel it. But I can't use it, I don't know how. I haven't teleported in years, and when I did those few times I always ended up dizzy for minutes afterward. I want you to teach me how to control it, how to wield it." Her deep green eyes raised to his own. She didn't like the look of wariness in his.

"I'm not sure, Hela," he murmured, "You're still very young. Your powers will only get stronger and-"

"That's an even better reason for you to teach me!" she exclaimed. "So I don't accidentally hurt someone! Father, I'm almost thirteen. We should have been having these lessons years ago. Please, I need to learn how to control it."

Loki's eyebrows furrowed. He seemed to be biting the inside of his jaw, which Hela had learned was a sign he was thinking on something hard. He sighed through his nose. "Hela," he muttered.

Hela pursed her lips and clutched her father's sleeve. "Father, please."

The man closed his eyes and sighed. "All right, Hela. We'll start tomorrow. I want you in my study at 12 o'clock sharp. Don't be late, understand? Or the lesson is off."

Hela squealed. She threw her arms around her father's neck. "Thank you, Daddy," she mumbled, and heard Loki chuckle.

"Yes, yes. You're welcome. Now, go wash up before supper. Go on, now."

Hela stood up quickly and nodded, "Yes, Father, of course." She turned on her heel and dashed from the pond. She could hear Loki chuckle as she rushed off.

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

"Pass the drumsticks, will you, dear?"

Hela looked up and smiled, reaching over and handing the plate to Volstagg who took it happily. Hela herself had eaten little. She assured herself it was because she was excited; her father was going to teach her magic, after all. It had absolutely nothing to do with the words of the feline.

She looked across from her, at her father, who had said very little at the dinner table. She guessed that Loki still was not entirely comfortable around the family. She still caught him occasionally arguing with Grandfather or Thor. This happened less, though, as Loki made himself discreet.

"Hela, you've hardly said a word," Frigga mentioned, looking at the girl worriedly.

Hela looked up. "Haven't I? I'm sorry, I'm still very tired from the trip."

Frigga smiled. "I see. You should turn in early tonight," she said. "After all, you have plenty of time to go on adventures. For now, just rest."

"Yes. Thank you, Grandmother." She smiled.

Hela felt something hit her on the side of the face and squeaked. She dropped her gaze to an olive rolling on her plate. Her eyes flickered up to see Vali and Nari grinning devilishly at them. Hela grinned.

Her eyes glanced to Loki, who was too busy speaking to Fandral. She picked up the olive and her spoon, and shot it back at her brothers. It hit home on Nari's cheek.

The two burst into laughter, and shot peas at her in reply. Hela realized why. They hated peas.

She glanced at Loki again, who was still oblivious. Lifting a carrot, she shot it back at them, and squeaked as it hit Vali's plate and food flew in every direction. She put a hand over her mouth, watching the food hit their neighbors.

Loki looked over suddenly, and glanced at what was happening. His eyes fell on the children. Hela smiled innocently.

She was positive the smell of peas in her hair covered the smell of death on her skin.