Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

Margot: Merry Christmas to you too dude

Margot: You bored or something?

Me: Wtf. Does everyone just always assume I only text them when I'm bored??

Margot: To be fair you do it a lot

Me: Oh shush. You love talking to me.

Margot: Eh

Me: You take that back!!

Margot: And not voice my true feelings?

Me: Meanie.

Margot: Good comeback

Me: Shut up.

Margot: Then who would you talk with to cure your boredom?

Me: Oh, I've got so many texts from people dying to talk to me right now. You wouldn't believe it.

Margot: Like who? A guidance counselor?

Me: Janis is more than just a guidance counselor. She's my friend and you know that.

Margot: You're so weird

Me: But you wouldn't have me any other way. ;)

Margot: ;)

Margot: Wait why are you bored? I thought you were at a family gathering or some shit

Me: Stalking much??

Margot: You told me, dumbass

Me: Twas a joke, smartass.

Margot: Whatever answer my question

Me: The family gathering is boring. They keep gossiping, but it's about family members that I've never heard of before. It therefore holds no interest to me.

Margot: I would invite you over here, but I doubt my family would be that much of an improvement

Me: If I can somehow break out of here then I'll be on my way.

Margot: You better start planning your escape plan then

Me: What?? Do you actually want to see me that badly, May??

Margot: Consider yourself officially invited to Christmas dinner at my house if you can escape your current dining arrangements

Me: Wow. I'm honored.

Margot: As you should be.

"Alex. How are things going in college?"

My ears suddenly perk up at the mentioning of my brother's name.

"Oh. Things are going fine," he says, slightly caught off guard by the conversation topic as he tucks his phone into his pocket and turns to face the person who prompted the question, Uncle Paul.

"That's good. What are you studying again?"

As Uncle Paul keeps the conversation going, I sink slightly more into the couch, realizing the way they're awkwardly talking over me given my current seat on the couch between them.

"Nursing," Alex answers him.

"Really?" our uncle responds, seemingly shocked by the answer.

"Yeah....?"

"I just didn't think you were the type. I mean. Wait. You're still playing football right?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I mean, nursing is a woman's job isn't it?" our uncle asks, clearly having no idea as to the trigger he just pulled.

"The field is predominantly made up of women, but that doesn't mean that men can't go into nursing,"