Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Alice opens her eyes. She is in her bedroom, in the house. She picks up her hand to rub her face. That is when she notices Will’s hand in hers. He was in the chair from her vanity and his head laying on the mattress. She strokes his hair with her other hand. She rolls over on her side, and finds the movement painful for her.

Will must have felt her moving because he picks up his he; his eyes half open when he sees her. He gives her a wry grin, “How do you feel?”

“My whole body hurts.”

Will rubs her lower back, “Metal can do that.”

Alice remembers the fight back in the school gym; the troll and goblin coming into the gym attacking Brittney and Scott, Will and her fighting back, and then the goblin pushing her into the bleachers. She cringes at the memory. The metal felt like it was causing her skin to melt off her body. She looks up at Will and she knew he was remembering too. All she had to see was that painful stare in his eyes.

Will notices her staring and meets her eyes. He takes her arm and examines it.

Her skin was pink as if she were a human that got sunburned.

“It looked worse last night when we brought you back.”

“We?”

Will nods, “Brittney is in my room asleep, and Scott is on the couch.” He takes a bottle that was sitting on the night stand. He takes some cream out of it and rubs it on her arms. “They said they are not leaving until they got answers for what happened last night.” He stops rubbing her arms. “That should help.”

“What is that anyway?”

“Just a cream that you put when you get in contact with metal. It soothes the skin.” Will stands up from the chair. “Do you want anything to eat?”

Alice shakes her head.

Will kisses her forehead. “Okay, why don’t you get some sleep then, while I go get something done?”

“You’re going to call my father.”

“I did last night. No answer.”

Alice’s eyebrows crinkle.

“I’m sure he is just busy.” He smoothes her hair, “Get some rest.” Will gets up from his chair and fixes her blanket. He turns around and walks out of the room, and leaves the door slightly closed.

Alice makes herself comfortable and closes her eyes. She makes a small prayer that she does hear from her father again.

When Alice wakes up, it is close to noon. Will was not with her, he was probably downstairs if Brittney was still occupying his room. Alice tries to get up with the little pain she still has. She manages to walk out the door and down the stairs, cringing all the way down.

She gets to the bottom of the steps and sees Scott sitting at the couch eating a grilled sandwich. At the table sat Will, he was examining a sword. It was not his she could tell. It was not as long and from here it looks like it did not have his guardian’s crest on the hilt.

“Good morning,” Scott says.

Alice looks at him and only nods. She had no idea what to say to him after yesterday.

He makes a gesture to her, “Nice wings.” His tone of voice told her he was upset about not knowing and the fact that she had a pair of wings was weird.

Alice bites back her lip and moves to stand behind Will. She wraps her arms around his neck and rests her chin on his shoulder. “What are you doing?” She whispers in his ear.