4. Wizard's Chess

Start from the beginning

My attention never left McGonagall. Transfiguration was one of the classes I enjoyed the most, even though it was very difficult and very dangerous. If you don't know what you are doing, it can go badly wrong.

"What's up?" I asked looking between Harry and Ron. Harry had a boring look on his face while Ron seemed uneasy. Both of the boys looked at me. They were sitting on the same sofa in the Gryffindor Common Room while I was sitting in the armchair.

"Ron wants to play Wizard's Chess" Harry said and groaned. I stared at him and raised an eyebrow, not understanding why he was so bothered because of this. As I was about to ask, Ron cut me.

"He never plays with me." The redhead crossed his arms. Harry didn't say anything, instead, he just rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"I will play with you, Ron" I Interjected. Both of them turned at me, a smile appearing on Ron's face. I gently smile back at him.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows at me. "Since when do you play?" He asked while Ron was putting his board on the table and starting to settle all the pieces.

"Since always" I said matter-of-factly and got up to make my way to the table where the board was. When I sat in the chair, Hermione, who was studying on one of the sofas in front of it, turned at me.

"He is going to end you" She said. I chuckled.

"Do you think so?" I confidently said, smirking at her. I heard that Ron was one of the best players in Hogwarts. I had absolutely no doubt that he was brilliant, which made me very excited to play against him.

"You are too confident, Y/N. Ron is one of the top Wizard's Chess players here." She stated. I made myself comfortable in the chair and involuntarily cracked my knuckles. I nodded at her without taking my eyes off of the board. "I'm aware." I replied.

Harry sat next to Hermione, both of them looking at us waiting for the game to start. "This shouldn't take too long" Harry whispered to Hermione, loud enough for me to hear. I discretely smirked. The fact that they were underestimating me that much made me even more excited to prove them wrong.

I played the black ones while Ron played the white ones. Several minutes passed by and the game was still very intense, it certainly proved to me how good Ron indeed was. I peeked at the boy in front of me. He had his eyebrows furrowed in concentration while he studied the board.

He previously made a very dangerous move which could certainly be the end of me, so I decided that I was ready to make my last move and checkmate his king. As I spoke the command, one of my pieces brutally destroyed his king.

"Checkmate" I calmly said. The redhead slowly lifted his head to look at me. His eyes were wide and his mouth slightly opened.

"Bloody hell..." He murmured out of his breath. I crossed my arms and victoriously smiled. I looked to the side and saw Harry and Hermione wide-eyed as well.

"There's no way" Hermione said looking at me.

I leaned forward to get closer to her and whispered, "I thought he was supposed to end me" I  repeated what she said previously, mocking her. She opened her mouth to say something back, but no words came from it. Harry was also speechless.

"You are an amazing player" Ron said as he put his hand out. I turned my attention back at him and firmly shook his hand.

"You are not so bad yourself, Weasley" I mocked him and smiled. He rolled his eyes and smiled back at me. "You are one of the best I have ever played with." I honestly told the redhead.

"Who taught you how to play?" He asked after a few seconds of silence. His sudden curiosity caught me off guard. I looked down at the board.

"No one, if that's what you are wondering. I actually learned by myself when I was a kid." I looked at him again, "Wizard's Chess always amused me, since the moment I laid my eyes on it. I started practicing and ended up learning pretty fast" He nodded as he listened to me carefully.

"That is impressive. I really thought your father was the one who played with you" Ron asked with noticeable doubt in his voice. I shook my head and scoffed.

"Me and Lucius doing something together? We could never." I glanced at the multiple rings in my fingers, playing with them.

"And why-"

"Ron, I don't think you should ask this." Harry quickly cut his friend. Ron and Hermione turned to look at Harry, not understanding.

"It's okay, Harry" I glanced at him and nodded my head to assure it was in fact okay.

"Look, I will only say this once. Who knows that way I will stop being seen as Draco." I rolled my eyes slightly annoyed. The 3 Griffyndors never took their eyes off of me, waiting for a continuation. I looked at the sides seeing that we were alone in the Common Room.

"Well, not everyone knows this, but my relationship with my father is not good" (A/N: my daddy issues are screaming lol) I started, "I find his actions as well as his beliefs stupid and retrograde. Because of this, we don't get along well and always end up arguing." I made a short pause.

"Back when Voldemort had power and followers, Lucius was a Death Eather." Ron and Hermione looked at me with shocked expressions. Hermione let a faint gasp out.

"Lucius believes in all of this pure-blood shit and he wanted me and my brother to do the same. Draco acts like a piece of shit but he was also very influenced by our father."

"And what exactly made you different from them?" Hermione suddenly asked and I looked at her for a moment. "I mean... why do you think differently from them?"  She reformulated her question and nervously played with her fingers. I stared at her.

"I don't think people should be judged because of things they can't control"  I said as my eyes never left hers. For a moment, all that could be heard was the calm sound of the fireplace. The Golden Trio remained silent, as they were afraid to say something.

I continued, "Even if it was a choice, being a pureblood doesn't make me nor any other pureblood better than anyone else. That's bullshit." I firmly said. I started to play with my rings one more time, not knowing what else to do.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked to the side and saw it was Hermione's. I glanced at her.

"I'm sorry about your situation with your dad." She genuinely said and shot me a gently small smile.

"Yeah, it's alright"

(A/N: heyy! I hope you all had a great Christmas :) well, with this conversation you had with the Golden Trio you might have realized two things: the first one is that Lucius Malfoy, your dad, doesn't get along with you. The other one is that in this book, Voldemort doesn't have power and neither followers anymore, which means there's no need to worry about him.
That's basically it. Thank you guys for all the views and votes, it means a lot to me.)