twenty-nine. margo is gone

En başından başla

"Diego, you're not Commission material, all right? Got an obstinate nature to you."

"Who do you think it was that figured out that Vanya was the one to cause doomsday and stopped it? Me."

"Hey," Klaus mutters under his breath when he sees the saddened look on Vanya's face.

"I figured it all out on the Infinite Switchboard."

"You were on the Infinite Switchboard?" Five deadpans.

"Hell, yeah! I made that machine my bitch. Y'all need to recognize I got shit going on y'all don't even know about."

Klaus begins to laugh as everyone talks over each other. He notices Vanya walk up the stairs, but the look on her face makes him stay put, laughing at his bickering siblings. He supposes now that Ben is gone, he'll actually have to function to talk to someone he cares about, or else they'll never really talk to him.

But he can't really concentrate. A flash of light from outside the window catches his eye as silhouettes pass by. He clutches at his dog tags until Vanya's voice passes through the fog.

"I'm leaving."

"What?" Allison asks. "To go where?"

"Sissy's farm. Something's wrong with Harlan, and I need to help him."

Luther steps forward. "Vanya, we need to stick together, ok? Now more than ever."

She nods. "That's why I'm telling you this. Whatever's going on with Harlan, I think I might've caused it," she says.

Something in Klaus melts. She has the same look in her eye that Margo had just as they got to the federal building.

"How?" Luther asks.

"He drowned, and, uh, somehow I was able to bring him back to life. And now it's like we're connected."

"What does that even mean?"

Vanya shakes her head and shows off her palms. "I don't know. I can't explain, but... I know that he needs my help. I need your help too. I'm scared, and for the first time in my life, I don't want to do it alone. I want my family by my side."

Diego sighs and walks forward. "Look, I'm sorry."

In that moment, Klaus has never disliked Diego more.

"We have other priorities right now."

"Diego's right. For once. We need to make our stand here and now." Five sighs. Klaus hates him too—first Margo, now letting Vanya down. But he himself can't find the strength to move towards her.

When Vanya looks at him, he looks back towards the windows.

"Ok, I guess I'll see you when I see you."

Klaus watches her go out the back. Only once the door swings closed does Klaus manage to get to his feet. "You're wrong," he says without looking at his family. "Five should know. He killed his only friend for family, and we just let her go? Nah, not my style."

He knows they'll follow after that. At least, he hopes.

He slips into Vanya's car, saying, "So, so, so, Ben, huh? Gone forever. Isn't he?"

Vanya stares at him wide-eyed. "He traded his life for mine while he saved the world in the process."

"Pffft. Show off." Klaus looks out the window with his lips pursed. "But...did he... say anything about...me?" Her nod catches him by surprise.

"He wanted me to tell you that he was too scared to go into the light. It wasn't you that made him stay."

A laugh erupts from his cracked chest. "That little shit-heel. All these years, and I thought it was my fault that he didn't take his ticket to heaven."