Chapter 19

I was holding onto Sam's jacket as I ate a candy bar,
He said" Dean's still knocked out." I smiled, he lifted me up as we walked over to the car. He put me down and leaned in, honking the horn, waking Dean up. I giggled, Sam started laughing, he opened the door and I crawled in, he got in.
Dean said" Oh, man, that's so not cool."
" I just swept the Telseca house with the EMF. It's clean. And last night, while you were... out..."
" Oh, good times."
" I checked the history of the house. No hauntings, no violent crimes, nothing strange about the Telescas themselves, either."
" All right, so if it's not the people and it's not the house, then maybe it's the contents- a cursed object or something."
" House is clean."
" You said that."
" No, I mean it's empty. No furniture, nothing. Where's all their stuff?" I looked at them, then grabbed Sam's arm, W-H-A-T W-A-S D-E-A-N D-O-I-N-G-?, Sam looked at me then stared at Dean,
" What?" Sam gulped, then they both looked at each other, I think talking without moving their mouths." Oh, oh.. uh, nothing, River, just hanging out with some people." I tilted my head," I'll pay you to never ask that question again. How much?" I smiled and held up both my hands then one hand," $15 dollars, man, have you gone up on your keep your mouth shut prices!" I giggled," You little con-artist." He handed me $15 dollars, I smiled widely and crawled into the backseat, I tugged my bag up onto my lap and put my money in it." He's gonna make us rich once he's tall enough to con people."
" Seriously, Dean?"
" What? Kid's good."

Sam gave me my bag,
Dean said" Grant Wood, Grandma Moses- what?" I tilted my head, following them to the door of our motel room.
Sam said" Art history course. It's good for meeting girls."
" It's like I don't even know you." We walked into the motel room, it was weird looking.
They both said" Huh."
" And what was the providence?"
Sam said" Provenance. It's a certificate of origin, like a biography, you know? We can use them to track the history of the pieces, see if anything's got a freaky past." I jumped onto the bed, sitting down.
" We're not getting anything out of chuckles, but, uh, Sarah..."
" Yeah. Maybe you can get her to write it all down on a cocktail napkin."
" Not me."
" Oh, no, no, no, no. Pickups are your thing, Dean."
" It wasn't my butt she was checking out."
" In other words, you want me to use her to get information."
" Sometimes you got to take one for the team. Call Sarah." He held out his phone to Sam, I shrugged and pulled out my coloring books.

Sam left to go get information, Dean was staring at me, I was staring back,
He said" What?" I stared, tilting my head," Are you hungry? Gotta go piss? Stop staring at me." I pouted," You are so bored, aren't you?" I nodded," Uh, color or something." I showed him all the filled books," Okay... noted, need to buy you some more coloring books, got that. Uh... play with Coco." I pouted," Uh, what else do you got?" He grabbed my bag and poured it out, moving my clothes and shoes, he saw my broken spider-man toy, tube of playdoh and my dino figures." Okay, I promise after this case, we'll go find you some more toys to have, okay?" I nodded, yawning, I rolled over and played with Coco.

Sam was back,
Dean said" So, she just handed the providences over to you?"
Sam said" Provenances."
" Provenances?"
" Yes, we went back to her place. I got a copy of the papers."
" And?"
" And nothing. That's it. I left."
" You didn't have to con her or do any special favors?"
" Dean, would you get your mind out of the gutter, please?"
" You know, when this whole thing's done, we could stick around for a little bit."
" Why?"
" So you could take her out again. It's obvious you're into her. Even I can see that."
" Hey, all right. I think I got something here." Dean got up, I rolled off the bed since I was leaning against him. I sat up,
" Portrait of Isaiah Merchant's family, painted 1910."
" Now compare the names of the owners with dad's journal."
" First purchased in 1912 to Peter Sims. Peter Sims murdered, 1912. Same thing in 1945. Oh, same thing in 1970."
" Then stored, until it was donated to a charity auction last month, where the Telescas bought it. So, what do you think? It's haunted or cursed?"
" Either way, it's toast."