Chapter 5

Dean said" Sam! Wake up!" He was having a scary dream, He woke up though.
Sam said" I take it I was having a nightmare?"
" Yeah, another one."
" Hey, at least I got some sleep."
" Sooner or later, we're gonna have to talk about this."
" Are we here?"
" Yep. Welcome to Toledo, Ohio."
" So, what do you think really happened to this guy?"
" That's what we're gonna find out." They got out," River, nap. You were bouncing off the walls this entire ride." I nodded my head, rubbing my eyes, I laid down and held Coco in my arms tightly.

I woke up when I was lifted up, I yawned and held onto Dean's jacket as he carried me.
Dean said" All right, say Bloody Mary really is haunting this town. There's gonna be some sort of proof- right? A local woman who died nasty."
Sam said" Yeah, but a legend this widespread, it's hard. I mean, there's like 50 versions of who she actually is. One story says she's a witch, another says she's a mutilated bride. There's a lot more."
" So, what are we supposed to be looking for?"
" Every version's got a few things in common. It's always a woman named Mary, and she always dies in front of a mirror. So we've got to search local newspapers- public records as far back as they go, see if we can find a Mary who fits the bill." I saw the computers had a sign on them, that's not a good sign.
" Well, that sounds annoying."
" No, it won't be so bad," I pointed to the computer," As long as we-" He saw the sign," I take it back. This will be very annoying." Sam looked at Dean, now I know the sign on the computers were bad news.
——
I was bouncing while sitting on the ground, Dean turned on Sesame Street, so I wouldn't get bored and annoy him.
I heard Sam say" Why'd you let me sleep?"
Dean said" Because I'm an awesome brother. So, what did you dream about?"
" Lollipops and candy canes."
" Yeah, sure." I heard Elmo laugh, I smiled and focused on the show again since I turned to look at my brothers. I like colors, they're fun. Sesame Street sounds fun, really different from how I live.
Then someone snapped their fingers in front of me,
Dean said" Terrifying how in a trance he is when he's watching puppets." I tilted my head," Uh! Nothing!"
Sam said" We'll be back soon, River. Just watch Sesame Street and stay inside." I nodded my head," Bye." They walked out, closing and locking the door, I stood up and grabbed Blankie. I walked back to floor and sat down, watching Sesame Street again, waiting for my brothers to get back.

They were back, doing a lot of research,
Sam said" Wait, wait, wait. You're doing a nationwide search?"
Dean said" Yep. The NCIC, the FBI database- at this point, any Mary in the country who died in front of a mirror is good enough for me."
" But if she's haunting the town, she should have died in the town."
" I'm telling you, there's nothing local, I've checked. So, unless you've got a better idea-"
" The way Mary chooses her victims, it seems like there's a pattern."
" I know, I was thinking the same thing."
" With Mr. Shoemaker and Jill's hit and run-"
" Both had secrets where people died."
" Right. There's a lot of folklore about mirrors- that they reveal all your lies, all your secrets, that they're a true reflection of your soul, which is why it's bad luck to break them."
" Right, right. Yeah, so maybe if you've got a secret, like a really nasty one where someone died, then Mary sees it and punishes you for it."
" Whether you summoned her or not."
" Take a look at this." Dean printed out pictures, I walked to them and climbed onto Sam's lap. They looked at pictures from a crime scene,
" Looks like the same handprint."
" Her name was Mary Worthington- An unsolved murder in Fort Wayne, Indiana."
——
We went to Fort Wayne, they were posing at reporters, and going to talk to a detective, who was on the case of Mary Worthington.

They found out some stuff, information they needed. Which is good.
Sam said" Oh, really? Ah, that's too bad, Mr. Worthington. I would have paid a lot for that mirror. Okay, well, maybe next time. All right, thanks." He hung up,
Dean said" So?"
" So... that was Mary's brother. The mirror was in the family for years, until he sold it one week ago to a store called Estate Antiques, a store in Toledo."
" So wherever the mirror goes, that's where Mary goes?"
" Her spirit's definitely tied up with it somehow."
" Isn't there an old superstition that says mirrors can capture spirits?"
" Yeah, there is. When someone would die in a house, people would cover up the mirrors so the ghost wouldn't get trapped."
" So Mary dies in front of the mirror, and it draws in her spirit."
" Yeah, but how could she move through 100 different mirrors?"
" I don't know, but if the mirror is the source, I say we find it and smash it."
" Yeah, I don't know. Maybe." His phone rang," Hello? Charlie?"

We were back at the motel room, they covered up everything that could give off a reflection... Sam told me what a reflection is. Sam walked over to Charlie,
He said" Hey. It's okay. You can open up your eyes, Charlie. It's okay, all right? Now, listen. You're gonna stay right here on this bed and you're not gonna look at glass or anything else that has a reflection, okay? As long as you do that, she cannot get you."
Charlie said" But I can't keep that up forever. I'm gonna die, aren't I?"
" No. No. Not anytime soon."
Dean said" All right, Charlie, we need to know what happened." I yawned and laid down, closing my eyes, falling asleep, it was a really long drive.

We were at the store, Sam broke in, we walked in, there were a lot of mirrors.
Dean said" Well, that's just great." They looked at a picture," All right, let's start looking." Dean held my hand as we started walking around looking for the right mirror." Maybe they've already sold it."
Sam said" I don't think so." We walked over to him, Dean looked at the picture again.
" That's it. You sure about this?"
" Bloody Mary, bloody Mary... blood Mary." A light came in from outside, I looked up at my brothers,
" I'll go check that out. Stay here. Be careful." He let go of my hand," Smash anything that moves." I followed him though, he stopped me before I could get into the light." Crap." He walked away from me, holding out his hand, telling me to stay hidden. After a minute, I heard the crowbar drop from Sam's hand, I turned around and saw he was bleeding from his eyes. He got onto his knees, I whimpered, I went to go help him then Dean ran in, he smashed the mirror. I ran to them, whining," Sammy, Sammy!"
" It's Sam."
" God, are you okay?"
" Uh, yeah."
" Come on, come on."
" Ugh!" They stood up, we started walking out, but we heard something behind us. We turned around and saw the ghost, then all I could feel was hurt. I started crying, I felt blood run down my face, I started breathing heavily, sobbing.

I was lifted up, I couldn't stop crying, I was being rocked,
Dean whispered" Shh, shh, River, you're all right, buddy. You're okay, come on, now, shh, everything's all right."
Sam said" He okay?" I felt his hand rub my back,
" Yeah, he'll be fine. If I can just get him to calm down." Dean started bouncing me," Which is gonna be the hard part. Come on, buddy, you're okay, shh, shh, shh."
After a few minutes, I was really sleepy, I put my thumb in my mouth, my eyes started to close, I was sniffling.
Dean whispered" There he goes. All right, attaboy. That's it, just go to sleep, River."
——
I woke up, I was hungry, I saw a candy bar on the floor, I smiled and grabbed it, about to bite.
Sam said" River, where'd you get that?" I pointed to the floor," No!" I pouted," You can't eat things off the floor, River." I pointed to Dean, who sighed," Dean?"
Dean said" River, you gotta stop ratting me out, little man!" I tilted my head, huh? He sighed," 5 second rule, Sam." Sam took the candy from my hand, and there was fuzzy stuff on it, he stared at Dean." Hey... okay... maybe I'm still teaching him about stuff."
" Maybe the first lesson should be not to eat moldy food... or any food in general off the ground."
" I know, I know. Now you're around, you teach him." Sam groaned, then dropped his head, he grabbed an unopened granola bar.
" Here, River. Eat this instead." I smiled and took it, ripping the wrapper off and beginning to eat.