Compatible

Alright, just sayin it now. This is an angsty one. Buckle in, ladies and gents and others out there. TW: The second ending, I guess? I wrote two endings since the first of them didn't feel quite right. If you want the *slightly* happier ending, read the first one. If you're going the extra mile to feel sad, skip to the second. Or, go ahead and read both. I'm not gonna judge. Here we go!}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*AU where Zane didn't make it after the Overlord's Battle*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pain.

The only feeling reading on Zane's sensors. Memories whizzed by, faster and faster until he was unable to distinguish them from one another. But through the whooshes of colors and sounds, one stood out to him even more than the others. His and Pixal's first date a few days before.

~~~

They'd flown around on his dragon and went up into the clouds, where he'd made it snow. The look of joy and awe on her face had made it worth the incredible amount of energy it had taken to do.

He'd never forget her smile when a snowflake fell on her nose. "Thank you. For giving me something so simple. It is... what is it you say? Awesome." She'd told him, to which he'd responded by taking her hand for the first time and smiling at her.

~~~

For a few seconds, he reveled in the memory with a hint of a smile. Until he was ripped back into reality with a spike in energy to his already-strained heart. Something snapped inside him and he knew... he wouldn't be taking her on another date.

"No!" He screamed in agony and threw his head back as another wave of energy made him shake harder. He couldn't leave now. Not when he'd finally found someone who completed him. Literally. She had the other half of his heart.

"I can't leave! Not yet... please... not until I can say goodbye..." He whispered to the sky, where it was blizzarding. Tears flowed from behind his metal facade, which half of blew off immediately after, allowing more tears to escape. A cruel twist of fate, perhaps, pulled his gaze to one side, where his new partner was standing.

He saw how she shook her head in disbelief. How she reached out to him and screamed his name, which broke his fractured heart even more. He had no idea if she was actually capable of tears and hoped he didn't find out. "I'm sorry." His broken voice muttered.

He hated his cruel fate. But if him doing this would save her from any more hurt, even if he never got to see it, he had to do it. For her. For Ninjago. "I am a nindroid... and ninja never quit! Go, ninja... GO!"

~~~

Pixal reached out towards him after he mouthed, "I'm sorry," to her. "ZANE!" Her voice broke and she choked back a sob.

"GET DOWN!" Nya's voice came from beside her and she was tackled to the ground as a bright white flash enveloped her vision. The temperature dropped drastically within a few seconds and slowly they came back up.

She gasped and pressed her hands to her mouth, looking up. "Snow." Zane's snow. But where was HE? Before Nya could stop her, she bolted down the stairs and out onto the street.

The rest of the team and a few brave citizens were trickling out into the draining flurry, but she ran ahead of all of them. She had to reach Zane first, make sure he was okay. Help fix him back up and make sure nothing like this ever separated them ag--