Chapter Five - Everything's Not Always As It Seems

"Journey!" someone called after me.

I quickened my pace, angry tears spilling. I hated crying in front of people. Every time I did open up, it'd only end up hurting me more, so I learned to bottle up my emotions.

"Hey." I felt his warm hand grab my wrist, turning me around.

"Leave me alone, Kale," I mumbled, weakly attempting to break free from his grasp. I furiously swiped at the falling tears.

He frowned, and real concern showed in his dark grey eyes.

"Hey, hey, why are you crying?" he asked, wiping my tears for me.

I let out a humorless laugh which sounded more like a choke. "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me," he challenged.

We stared at each other for what seemed like eternity. Was I ready to tell him? I just met him, for goodness' sake. He probably didn't even care. But something told me that he did, and that I could trust him.

"She's dead," I whispered.

"Who?" he furrowed his brows in confusion.

I shook my head. "This is stupid. Look, can you just take me somewhere? I don't want to be here right now."

He looked like he wanted to keep investigating, but he kept his mouth shut and nodded.

"Yeah, sure. I have to get the guys, though. We came together. Here, take my coat for now. You're gonna get sick." He took off his black leather jacket and wrapped it around me.

I gave him a weak smile. "If I'm going to get sick, it's because you dumped me into the fountain."

He smirked. "That's true. I'll be right back."

I sat down on a bench while waiting for him and the guys to emerge from the restaurant. I wondered what my family was thinking. I did feel kind of bad for leaving like that, but the other half of me didn't care.

"Journey." A hand rested on my shoulder.

I didn't have to look up to know who it was.

"I'm sorry, Joe," I whispered.

He sat down beside me. "Don't be. Dad feels terrible right now. Mom told him. Everyone's kind of in shock though."

"Why can't I do this? Just the mention of her name, and I feel like how I did two years ago. It was freaking two years ago, Joe. How can I not be over it?" I clenched my fists in frustration.

"Journey, you never will be over her death. You've already been so strong, and you just have to continue. She'll always have a special place in our hearts, but it was her time to leave," he told me.

I cracked a smile. "When'd you become so wise?"

He frowned in indignation. "I was always wise. What are you talking about?"

"Thanks, Josiah." I gave him a side hug.

As twins, we sometimes didn't get along, obviously, but this was one of the very few times that I was grateful for having a twin brother.

"Now, go chill with Kale. I'll see you at school tomorrow?"

I whined, "Do I have to go?"

"Yes. We're beginning in-class essays, sis," he informed me in his "duh" voice. "Now, go. The guys are waiting. I better see you tomorrow."

Grumbling, I stood up. "Can you tell Mom--" I began.

He waved it off. "Yeah, yeah, I know. Be safe tonight. I know they all seem harmless, but they are teenage boys who have hormones that may be hard to control at times so if anything happens, make sure you use protection and--"