Chapter Six - Second Chances?

Of course, the world seemed to be against me that day.

I just barely managed to get to class before the late bell rang since I had to take a quick trip to the washroom to make sure my eyes weren't red from unshed tears.

Just when I began to settle down in my seat, a knock on the door captured my attention.

I met a pair of dark grey orbs. It had to be him.

Curse. Mother. Nature. OK, so maybe it wasn't Mother Nature's fault, but it definitely was fate's fault then.

"Welcome to AP Biology. I'm Mr. Banks, your teacher," Mr. Banks introduced.

Kale gave a boyish grin that made almost every girl in the class swoon. "I'm Kale Tatum, in case you didn't know."

"Well, Mr. Tatum, I hope you don't expect special treatment because of your status," Mr. Banks joked.

"Wouldn't dream of it," he smirked.

Mr. Banks smiled. "Alright then, would you please take a seat next to Journey. Journey, please raise your hand."

I inwardly groaned. Obviously, I didn't raise my hand, and just sunk further into my seat.

Mr. Banks sighed. "Journey's a tad bit shy."

Shy my butt, I scoffed.

"Just pick a seat then," he waved it off.

There were only two seats available. One beside me, obviously, and one beside Willow who was practically pulling her shirt down to expose more cleavage. It was really annoying that she was pretty and smart, but I guess her crappy attitude balanced it out.

I waited for Kale to head in my direction, but to my surprise and disappointment, he slipped into the seat next to a very smug-faced Willow.

I felt tears well up in my eyes again, but I made sure not to let anyone see. Instead, I focused on my wrists, drowning out Mr. Banks lecture and Willow and Kale's constant flirting.

Over and over again I counted the scars. 13 on my right, 15 on my left. Painful memories flashed through my head, but I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

I was never more happy when the bell rang.

My next class, photography, was my favorite class by far. Not only was my teacher amazing, but I found comfort in photography.

"Hi, Ms. Sparks," I greeted her, dropping my bag in the corner.

This class was a really small class with only six students. Orlando was included in one of those six.

"Journey!" he greeted me with a bone-crushing hug. "I heard about today. Are you OK? Sorry I couldn't have been there to beat the crap out of Greg. I had soccer practice."

I patted his shoulder. "No worries, Orly. I'm 99% still alive."

He made a face. "What about that 1%?"

Now, I wasn't going to tell him that part of me died when Kale acted coldly towards me, so instead I lied, "I'm exhausted so part of me feels dead."

"Hello, fellow classmates and comrades!" a cheerful voice announced, swinging open the door. "Oh, greetings, Journey. I didn't know you were in this class."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes and Preston's dramatic entrance.

"Well, in my defense, I didn't know you were taking this class either."

He grinned widely. "Surprise then!" Reaching over, he pulled over a chair so that he could plop himself next to me. "I'm Preston." He stuck out his hand for Orlando to shake.