Broken Arrows

Summary: 

Auden Everleigh Davis. She's the girl with everything.

Levi Duke Foster. He's the boy with nothing.

When Auden's parents decide that she needs an attitude change, they send her off to the small town of Anchor, miles away from city life. Frustrated and bitter, Auden's determined to show her parents that they were the ones who had made a mistake, not her. But things take a sharp turn when she meets blond hair, blue eyed Levi Foster who seems to have nothing going right for him, and yet, he's still so happy. 

Maybe Auden's never needed all the attention she's gotten before. Maybe she just needed his attention.

Prologue:

People say that things happen for a reason. I've always believed that it was just a human mechanism that helped cope with difficult situations-- it was just anothing way life mocked people. 

I had everything I wanted growing up. One would probably consider me spoiled, and I was. I always had the best-- designer clothes, the newest technology, whatever I wanted, I had.

Everyone wanted to be me. They thought that my life was so brilliant, so amazing. And if I didn't know better, I would think so too. But I knew better.

Growing up, I didn't want any of that stuff. It was nice, bathing in luxuries and being adored by everyone, but I wasn't happy. In fact, I was as far away from happiness as one could be.

I had no family. Yes, I had a mother and father, but I didn't have a mom or dad. They were always too busy at work to care for me. When I was 14, they started going on business trips that spanned over months. It was okay, at first. They would call and check in on me every week or so. But they got busy. And busier. And soon, I became another nuisance in their lives. A mistake.

I was alone.

No one understood why. I was always around people. Friends, classmates, hell even strangers wanted to  be around me. But it was when I was surrounded by people that I always felt the loneliness. Why? Because it wasn't real.

Every girl should have a best friend. Someone to watch chick flicks with. Someone to gossip about boys with. Someone to cry with. I had no one.

For a while, I thought that it was my fault. Something was wrong with me, and that's why no one really liked me. I wasn't good enough. I wasn't smart enough. I wasn't pretty enough. Of course, that's not all true but it took me months upon months of frustration and anger to figure that out.

Life sometimes throws curveballs at you and you can either choose to let them hit you, or you can hit back.

I was letting those curveballs hit me until I met him. He handed me a bat and told me to swing back so I did. I miss a couple of times, but I know he's there right behind me to catch the ones I miss. 

This is the story of how I changed.

And maybe, just maybe, things do happen for a reason.

___

"Auden Everleigh Davis, do you have any idea how angry your mother and I are?" my dad yells, causing me to wince

Rubbing my temples, I mumble, "Could you talk a little softer. I'm still hungover."

He throws up his hands in frustration. "We try to trust you, Auden. We really do, but how can we even think about leaving the house when we know that you're throwing these ragers?"

"Auden, we understand how hard this is for you--your father and I being in London, but you just have to graduate and you can join us," my mom speaks up for the first time.

Standing up, I state, "This is ridiculous. Can I leave now?"

"No, your father and I have something to discuss with you," my mom informs me. "Sit."

Irritated, I sit back down, arms crossed over my stomach. So things might have gotten a little out of hand yesterday at the party I threw at my parents' beach house, but I'm a teenager, and that's what we do. Besides, no charges were pressed and the tabloids will get over it eventually.

"We didn't want to have to resort to this, Auden, but your father and I feel that it'd be best if we sent you to live with your Uncle Dave and Aunt Maisie for your senior year," she says, placing her hand over mine.

I blink, trying to match faces with the names, but my mind comes up blank. "Who?"

My parents exchange tight smiles before my dad explains, "Your Uncle Dave and I were best friends in high school, and he and Maisie have graciously agreed to house you for the year."

"So you're sending me off to live with strangers?" I confirm, pulling my hand away from my mom. 

They are totally overreacting. I don't need parental supervision, for goodness' sakes. I've been practically on my own since I was 14, and there's definitely no reason now to send me off to live with a couple I don't even know.

"You've met them before, when you were little. Don't you remember their children? Spencer and Sienna? You three used to make mud pies together," my mom attempts to justify.

"Yeah, when I was like three. This isn't necessary. Look, I'm sorry for last night, but it won't happen again, alright?" I tell them before standing up. "I'm going to the mall with Charlie and Ashley. I'll be home for dinner."

My dad stands up. "This isn't for discussion, Auden. You are going to Anchor whether you decide to do it willingly, or we have to drag you."

I freeze. "Anchor? What do you mean?"

"I thought we agreed to ease it into the conversation, Julian," my mom sighs, massaging her temples. "Sweetie, Uncle Dave and Aunt Maisie don't live here in Los Angeles. They live in a town a few hours north called Anchor. It's a lovely town, right by the ocean. You'll like it there."

My heart drops at the thought of moving away for my senior year. "You can't just do that to me! I have friends here. I have a life here. This is my home. Look, this is all I've got. Because of your sh*tty parenting, I spend the majority of the year here by myself, and you don't see me complaining. I've got my friends to keep me company. Send me away and you're ripping everything else away from me."

"We've already sent half your belongings to Anchor, Auden. You may not see things in our light now, but one day you'll understand that we're doing this for you," my mom gently tells me, trying to calm me down.

I angrily scoff, rubbing away at the few tears that have fallen. "For my benefit? Since when has anything been for my benefit, Mom? You don't even know me. It's sad and pathetic, really that you and Dad care more about your f*cking work than your only child. I'm sorry that I didn't turn out to be the f*cking perfect daughter you wanted, but have you ever thought that maybe it's your fault? Maybe if I felt a little loved in my childhood, I wouldn't have become this attention seeking whore. I hope your happy, Mom, because you did the impossible. You've made a child actually resent her parents."

And I did. I really did resent them.