31. And In Flew A Phoenix

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act ii , take a breath
chapter thirty-one, and in flew a phoenix

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖DRIA LOCKABY ➖june 1993

DRIA LOCKABY
june 1993

        FROM THE MOMENT Dumbledore had declared her brother's name, it was as though the world moved silently around her. There was nothing except a light buzzing in her ears as her gaze shot between the distraught look on her mother's face as she pleaded with the Professor, the hunch of her father's brows as he kept his gaze firmly planted on the floor trying to fathom what had just been said and the striking lifelessness of Maisie's blue eyes held as they looked off into the ether.

         At some point, the family had drifted into silence — Professor Dumbledore had left them be in his office as he went to make more inquiries into Michael's disappearance, his phoenix disappearing with him.

        The candles that had lit the office in the early evening had burnt out leaving only the bright moon to allow a dusky light into the room, as it hung on a canvas that Dria swore was almost black.

        She had retreated to a large monks bench that sat at the other end of the office, and curled up on its — less than comfortable — surface in the hope of organising her thoughts in the painful silence that hung around her.

        However, as Dria slowly blinked up at the moon she came to the conclusion that, although the monks bench was uncomfortable, she clearly had managed to sleep on it.

        At the other end of the bench, she saw her father, his brow still furrowed as he slept, his head resting upon the hard wood back of the bench as her sister curled into his side, electing to use his torso as a pillow rather than the bench wood.

        Maisie hadn't said a single word since the Professor had told her that her twin was missing. Dria was vaguely happy to see that in sleep she looked for more at peace than when she had been conscious, although she had no doubt that, when her little sister awoke, her despair would claim her once more.