13. The Reign of Tess Robbins.

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act i , a lovelorn lockaby
chapter thirteen , the reign of tess robbins

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖ PENNY CLEARWATER ➖june 1992

PENNY CLEARWATER
june 1992

       THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS let out billowing clouds of steam from its piston as it chugged along the tracks making for King's Cross station. Each compartment was filled with students who were either eagerly awaiting their return or begrudging dreading it — for Dria, it was the latter.

       The compartment containing Dria, Jackie and Penny had fallen into a quiet silence, with the exception of Figaro's loud purrs that sounded out from where he slept curled up on his owner's lap. The blonde breathed slowly with her head leaning against the window, her breath fogging up the glass as she stomached the grief that filled her at leaving school for summer.

       "I reckon we're almost there, you know." Penny said with a small smile, as she craned her neck to look out of the window from where she sat opposite Dria.

        "Ah, brilliant." The blonde muttered, absentmindedly stroking Figaro as she lifted her head from the window pane.

       "I thought you were staying with your dad for the first couple of weeks?" Jackie asked from where she sat next to Penny, her knees hugged to her chest.

       "I am." Dria answered with a small smile, crediting Jackie's point before letting out a melodramatic whine. "But I still want to go back."

       "You like school far too much." The Irish girl scoffed with a shake of her head, before casting her gaze back to the copy of Witch Weekly in her hands.

       "Oh, shut up."

Before Dria could come up with some kind of witty retort, she was distracted by the entrance of Tess, who had left the compartment some five minutes prior and had now reentered, with a large sigh leaving her lips as she plopped herself down on the seat next to Dria.