39. Scratched Surface

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act iii , turning tables
chapter thirty-nine , scratched surface

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖DRIA LOCKABY ➖september 1993

DRIA LOCKABY
september 1993

         "YOU KNOW IF YOU DIDN'T rely on my snoring as an alarm clock we wouldn't be in this position!"

Dria let out a low groan at Tess' cry as the two girls willed their legs to move forward, under the heavy weight of their book-filled satchels, down the moving staircases towards their first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson of seventh year.

A lesson for which they were currently ten minutes late.

"I've been doing it for six years, and it's been all too reliable until now!" Dria bit back as the two came to a halt, waiting for the next staircase to connect to their landing. "Anyway, it's your fault for attempting to cure it with those fucking nasal strips!"

"You were the one complaining about it!" Tess countered, as she adjusted her bag strap on her shoulder, shooting her blonde friend an incredulous look.

"Well, I didn't realise the impact it stopping would have!"

"I can't believe the Muggle remedy actually worked in fairness." The Robbins girl chuckled, beginning to find humour in Dria's apparent distress, as the blonde girl stamped her foot on the landing floor.

"You do realise the strip is still on your face, right?" The blonde quirked an eyebrow at Tess, who — as Dria had correctly stated — was still wearing a nasal strip over the dorsum of her nose.

"Oh shit."

The Robbins girl began wincing as the next staircase locked into position, as the two girls broke into a light jog once more and finally reached the third floor, their hurried footsteps bouncing off the cold stone walls as they made haste.