33. A Conflict of Interest

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act ii , take a breath
chapter thirty-three, a conflict of interest

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖DRIA LOCKABY ➖june 1993

DRIA LOCKABY
june 1993

        "HOW DO YOU RECKON it's going?" Penny asked Jackie and Dria, her brown eyes flitting towards the door of their compartment every so often.

        "Abysmally." Dria responded, her gaze stubbornly fixed on Figaro as he clawed at a snag in her jumper.

        "My theory is she's dived out the nearest window and is now roaming around the countryside." Jackie voiced from where she sat beside Dria with her legs stretching out across the compartment, resting on the opposite seat.

       "We're never going to see her again." Dria chuckled in agreement, as she met Jackie's gaze causing the Hufflepuff's smirk to broaden.

        "She's going to spend her life taking care of sheep, and playing the harmonica for money."

         "I don't think asking Una Callahan out will have driven her to going off the grid to be a harmonica-playing shepherd." Penny replied with a light smile on her lips as she joined in with her friends' laughter.

        "This is Tess, we're talking about."

        "Anything's possible."

        However, much to their dismay, as soon as Dria had mentioned the Robbins girl by name, she appeared at the compartment door with a slight smirk on her face.

        "There she is!" Penny cried in excitement as Tess stepped over Jackie's outstretched legs — she had refused to move them based on the fact that Tess had turned out alive and well — and fell back into her seat opposite Dria.

        "How did it go?" The Ravenclaw beside her chuckled, as all three girls turned in their seats to face Tess with anxious looks on their faces.