First Date-Robert Smith

@LauraJones228

My heart was pounding in my chest. Any minute now the doorbell could ring. I wasn't nervous at all before, but as time passed my nerves got the better of me and resulted in me not being able to sit still for even a second.
As soon as the noise of the bell hit my ears, I stood up and literally ran over to the door to greet Robert. I still couldn't believe that this was a date with me, the oddball of the class. But, just as my best friend said, this was 'attraction from oddball to oddball'. So she was practically saying Robert was an oddball too.

I opened the door and smiled at the figure standing in front of me. "Hi." I beamed, letting him in.

"Hiya." He replied, his voice warmly decorated by the British accent. He took off the coat he was wearing and sat down on the sofa, looking around the living room my parents had decorated with photos of me. He smiled at none of them in particular, just at the amount of little me's all around him.

"Can I get you a cuppa? With or without sugar?" I asked, preparing to leave to the kitchen.

"With, please. Aren't your parents around?"

I peeked my head around the wall of the kitchen to look at him and shook my head. "Nope, they're both at work. That's why I figured we could just stay here and not have to go to a restaurant or outside in general."

He smiled, genuinly amused by our similarities. "All right then, that's perfect."

When I came back with the hot cups, he thanked me for the tea and I sat down next to him, not really knowing what to do next. This was our first date after all and I wasn't very experienced with dates in general. My eyes drifted over to his face to find him look down at his lap uneasily. Seemed like we both had no idea what was expected of us on a first date. Just before it could get really awkward, I came up with an idea and took hold of his hand. The wide eyes showed it was completely unexpected, but he seemed to cheer up as soon as he heard my idea.

"Want to see my record collection? You can take your tea with you."

He nodded and followed me up the stairs into my bedroom, again looking around at the dozens of posters and photographs. This time not of me, though. My room was filled with David Bowie, The Velvet Underground, Joy Division, Sex Pistols.

"You're a Bowie fan?" Robert asked and I smiled, nodding heavily.

"Wanna listen?" I put on 'Low' and looked back at Robert when the intro to 'Speed Of Life' began. I sat down next to him on my bed and silently sipped on my tea, listening intently to the song.

"Y/N?" Robert whispered after a while. You shifted your eyes to his and he nervously swallowed. "Will you be my girlfriend?"