There is a light-Morrissey

ohnoscarlett

August 11, 1986. Cleveland Music Hall

It was just one of oh so many abnormal nights of which Scarlett had no clue what was going to happen. Right now she was following her boyfriend, who happened to be the singer for the immensely popular band The Smiths through the halls backstage, but who knew what she would be doing in a few hours? Partying, sleeping, making love, playing a game to pass the insomnia? It was all a complete mystery what would happen after a concert and especially now because it was her first time in America. She hurried after her boyfriend, almost running as his big, fast steps carried him a few feet away from her. Behind her were Johnny and Mike, casually chatting with each other before it was time to get on stage.

"Steven." She desperately groaned in hope he would slow down his steps. He fortunately turned around and wrapped an arm around his girlfriend.

"It's Morrissey now, love. Also for you. I need to get into my performing mood."

Scarlett giggled and kissed his jawline. He adjusted his glasses and released her from his side as he was told it was time to go on.

"Break a leg, Moz." Scarlett teased, standing at the side of the stage as the band came on. She smiled at her boyfriend as he shot her a look and took the microphone from its stand.

"The first song we're playing is written for a very special someone. This is There is a light that never goes out." He winked at Scarlett as the song began and her heart fluttered. Did that mean this song was written for her?

"Take me out tonight. Where there's music and there's people and they're young and alive. Driving in your car, I never never want to go home. Because I haven't got one anymore. Take me out tonight. Because I want to see people and I want to see life. Driving in your car, oh please don't drop me home. Because it's not my home, it's their home and I'm welcome no more. And if a double decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die."

The lyrics suddenly hit so deep and she swallowed the unwanted lump in her throat. All those memories she had gone through with Steven flashed by and she realised that this song had been about her all the time, but she just never realised it. She looked at her boyfriend with tears in her eyes as he swayed to the music in his own special way. She quietly sang along to the words, realising how obvious it actually was that Steven had written about their life and memories with every sentence she sang along to. During his performance, Steven sent a few concerned glances her way, but she smiled to reassure him she was doing fine.

"There is a light and it never goes out, there is a light and it never goes out. There's a light, there's a light, there's a light."

As the last tunes to the song were heard, he quickly went backstage to give Scarlett a tight hug and press a loving kiss to her lips.
"You all right, love?" He asked, smiling sweetly.

"Thank you." She whispered, wiping the tears off of her face. "Thank you." She repeated again as she accepted his kiss. Steven pulled her body against his own and held her tightly until she calmed down and the tears were no longer falling down her eyes.

"I love you, Steven." Scarlett murmured against his lips.

"I love you too, Scarlett."