Guitar lesson- Charlie Burchill

"I give up." Danielle put one of Charlie's precious guitars back on its stand with a loud sigh, even though she knew no one could hear her. Her beloved boyfriend, who just so happened to be the guitar player for the band Simple Minds, would be coming home from touring for six months and perhaps she had been bragging too much about learning some songs on his guitar during their phone calls. She stared at the Les Paul with a pout and tried to figure out something to impress him. If she plugged it into the amp and added a whole lot of delay, it would surely sound better. Everything sounds better with delay. Just as she was about to start playing again, she heard the front door open. In full enthusiasm, she threw the guitar down on the sofa and ran into the hallway to finally meet Charlie's loving embrace again.

Charlie stumbled backwards as Danielle threw herself into his arms and kissed his cheek. Charlie gladly hugged her small frame back and lifted her slightly into the air.
"Hi Charles." She huffed as the strength of the hug pushed all the air out of her lungs. "I missed you." Charlie let go of her and Danielle instantly slipped his coat off of his shoulders and hung it on its rack. When he turned back, a sweet kiss was pressed to her lips and she finally heard his dreamy voice again, layered with his thick Scottisch accent.

"I missed you too."

A smile crept on his lips as he entered the living room and found his Les Paul abandoned on the sofa. "So I was interrupting something, hm? Am I getting a show?" He asked, his gaze turning to his girlfriend who was looking at the guitar with a blush on her cheeks.

"Y-You just spent 6 months playing your songs, I don't think you want a show from me hearing the same songs again."

"Oh, but I do." Charlie chuckled. "Especially because you're playing it. I'm honoured my girlfriend wants to learn my riffs."

Danielle quickly fled into the kitchen to get him a glass of water and her mind raced with ideas of how to get out of this situation. Yes, she had been playing his guitar and yes, she had been learning his riffs. But she was horrible, or she thought so at least. The sound of the familiar tune to Alive and Kicking filled her ears and she was glad to hear that Charlie had picked up his guitar so she wouldn't have to play anymore. She quickly went back to the living room again and set the glass down on the coffee table. She sat down next to him and in an instant, the guitar was in her hands.

"Show me what ye got, love." Charlie encouraged with a big smile on his lips. Danielle smiled back and decided that there was no need in getting nervous about this. It was her own boyfriend for goodness' sake. They had been through a lot more in 6 years. She smiled back at him and turned up the amp. One of the songs she had been wanting to play ever since it came out was Someone, Somewhere in Summertime and she had been pushing herself to get it right.

The twinkle in Charlie's eyes appeared as soon as she started playing and he felt so proud of what she had done without any of his help. This was all her own work she had done in those six months he was away.

"That's amazing!" He exclaimed, pressing a kiss to her temple.

"It's not perfect, but now you're finally back, you can teach me some riffs."

Charlie grinned and scooted closer to her, wrapping his arm around her to help her strum and guiding her to the frets with the other. "If you keep your fingers closer to the fretboard, you're faster to get to the frets than when you're far away. The position's looking good, but try not to touch the other strings when you're pressing down."

"My fingers hurt." Danielle whined playfully, pulling her hand out of Charlie's grip. She leaned back against his chest and closed her eyes.

"It gets better the longer you play. Your fingers get calloused when you play a lot."

"And you get blisters when you play too much." She remarked, gently caressing Charlie's fingertips. He chuckled and pulled her more into his embrace.

"No guitar for the both of us, then. Let's enjoy this break. I don't think I can hear any more Simple Minds songs for at least a month."