3 • 'Tis The Damn Season (AU)

After years away from his home for five years, Hollywood star Steve Rogers returns to his hometown for the holidays. He runs into his highschool ex, his first and only love. Inspired by the song 'tis the damn season by Taylor Swift. Angst. (It's just a little longer)
Or
Steve tries to not be a dick for the enitre oneshot.

Steve Rogers; small town cowboy to famous Hollywood playboy. Or at the very least that's how most news articles describe him. As soon as he had turned eighteen he had left. Gave his mother a quick kiss on the cheek and went off to chase his dreams. Now five years later he is back, or more like hiding from the press after his newest scandal. Great.

He was actually excited to be back. To see his mom. His bestfriend Bucky was on leave from the Army. Everything was just how he had left it. Though there was one thing missing. Natasha. Passing the Methodist church and the school where he attended brought back the everlasting pain. He never thought he could miss someone as much as did right now. After all the girls, the hookups, the flings. He never had what he did his senior year of highschool.

Steve had met Natasha the summer before Senior year of high school. Natasha had a job at the bookstore on the corner, and Steve's mom had dragged him there to try to get him a book for the summer. Instead he had gotten distracted by the bright smile of the redhead sitting on the front counter, her hair in a messy bun. She was chewing on a pen, and flipping through a book that had as many pages as Steve had read in his entire life. Immediately he asked her out. At first she seemed uninterested, annoyed actually. Like that book could be better than his handsome smile. Maybe it was a really good book becasue she had shut him down instantly.

The next day. The next week. Was all spent trying to convince this girl to go out with him. Eventually she agreed. Neither of the kids had ever felt anything as strong as the bond they had together. The entire summer was spent learning everything about the other: every insecurity and every fucked up piece of childhood trauma they found to have in common. They shared their dreams and fears and everything in between. They had even been eachothers firsts. When that summer had ended and they started their last year of highschool they stayed as they were. Natasha attended every one of his football games. They spent every waking moment together. Homecoming, the winter formal, prom, all memories with Natasha by Steve's side.

When the school year ended so did they. Steve had been offered a internship after he attend an acting workshop. Natasha had encouraged him to go. But when he returned a few weeks later, he was different. Though the difference was inexplicable, Natasha knew something had changed. She pressured him until he told her. He had cheated. It was some girl. Another intern. His seemingly careless description made it worse. After every thing Natasha had told him about herself. He did the one thing that could break her the worst. She did just that. Natasha shattered and her whole world crumpled around her.

--- --- --- --- ---

Steve had arrived at his house early in the afternoon. Five days before Christmas. His mom was overjoyed to see him. He spent a few hours with her before going out with Bucky for drinks. He got totally wasted and Bucky had carried him back to his house. The following day Steve had pulled on his designer winter coat and walked into town. All the Mom and Pop shops were exactly where he left them. Though the one pharamacy in town had been renovated and looked completely different.

--- --- --- --- ---

Natasha Romanoff had sold her first book last month. It charted number one for the New York times bestsellers list as fast as she published it. With the money she was able to have her parents grave stones cleaned up for the holidays. She thought it was a nice gesture. Her next book was already in the works and her publisher was thrilled with all the buzz her book had been getting.