8 • Engagement Party (AU)

Natasha is Pepper's maid of honor and Steve is Tony's best man. Nat and Steve meet for the first time at their engagement party. AU.

"Pepper you look amazing stop. It is only your engagement party not the wedding," Natasha tries to comfort, as she slides her earrings in.

"Thanks Nat, I'm just a little stressed,"

"Hey put the stress on me, I'm your maid of honor it's my job to handle the stressful stuff," Natasha laughs, helping Pepper put on a necklace.

"I'll see you out there," She tells her friend before leaving the room.

"Natasha? Try to mingle a bit, Tony has some friends here you've never met," Pepper urges Natasha.

"Good try Pepper but I don't think I want to talk to Tony's friends," Natasha chuckles, before leaving.

--- --- --- --- ---

Natasha enters the restaurant and takes a breath. The place they've rented for the night is beginning to get crowed with Pepper and Tony's friends and family. She fixes her dress quickly before going around to chat up the crowd. She sees Tony and says hi to him first, then she greets Wanda and Vision. Soon she is left with no one to talk to as many engage in their own circles of conversation.

Not feeling sociable, Natasha walks over to the open bar and pulls a stool out for herself. She waves down the bartender and orders herself a drink. For the sake of her friend, Natasha keeps her chin up and gives a curt hello to anyone passing by her seat.

After a few minutes of stirring the ice in her drink with a straw, she feels a heavy presence behind her.

"I'd ask to buy you a drink but it is an open bar," The person behind her flirts, she turns to face him as he sits next to her. A rose-blush spreads across his cheeks when he finally gets a good look at the beautiful women in front of him.

"I don't make it a habit of letting strangers buy me anything," Natasha replies into her drink. She smirks at him after taking a long drink. She finally locks eyes with man.

"You don't seem like the kind of women who can be bought anyway," He chuckles unbuttoning his blazer.

"Well, maybe I'll let this stranger buy me a drink," She laughs after noting his handsome features, and quick wit.

"What'll you have?" He asks, his voice noticeably lower now.

"Same as you I guess," She returns.

"Old Fashioned on the rocks one for me the other for the lady," He signals to the bartender, his voice with a hint of an Brooklyn accent.

"I'm Steve. Rogers," He offers his hand to her.

"Nice to meet you Rogers," She smirks laying her hand in his. He gives it a gentle shake before handing her drink to her, from the bartender. The bartender collects her other drink.

"Do you know Pepper or Tony?" He asks.

"Both. I went to college with both of them,"

"Hmm, I met Tony at a college party actually. I wonder if I ever saw you,"

"Why? Do I give off the vibe that I like to party?" Natasha laughs.

"Umm I mean no- That's not what," Steve pulls at the collar of his shirt. Natasha lets out a girlish giggle but stops herself before she sounds like a different person.

"It's ok Rogers. But if we met before, I'm sure I would of remembered you," Natasha quips.

"Cheers to that," Steve raises his glass and clinks it with Natasha's.

--- --- --- --- ---

Countless hours pass before either of them realize they are two of a few left in the restaurant. Tony and Pepper had left a while ago, Pepper told Natasha to tell her all about Steve. Which Natasha decided she would tomorrow.

"It's getting late," Steve slurs against the rim of his glass.

"Tired of me already?" Natasha says with the same tone.

"No it's actually late," Steve laughs showing her his watch.

"Let's get out of here then," Natasha slurs stumbling out of her seat for her jacket.

"You've had to much to drink," He rolls his eyes and helps her into her jacket. "Where do you live I'll drive you?'

"Umm Little Odessa."

"Ahh I'm from Brooklyn also,"

"Lead the way Brooklyn boy,"

--- --- --- --- ---

Steve leaves her at her front door. He makes sure she gets into the building and towards the stairs before he drives away. He would ask Tony for the nameless girl's number the next day.

As he decided the night before he gets her number from Tony. With out any liquid courage he finds himself not able to dial the number. Instead he tosses the piece of paper with her number on it under a pile of drawings he never finished.

--- --- --- --- ---

3 months later...

"I'd ask to buy you a drink but it's an open bar," Steve hears a voice from behind him say. He turns to see a redhead sitting on the bar stool next to him.

"You know I never got your name," Steve places his drink back on the bar and turns to face her.

"Well Rogers, what makes you think you deserve to know my name?" She asks.

"What do you mean?"

"You never called. Tony said he gave you my number,"

"Oh ya umm," Steve scratches the back of his head looking for an excuse.

"It's ok Rogers. Your lucky I enjoy your company," Natasha smiles that smile that he's longed to see the past few months, as she slides into the seat next to him.

"It was a beautiful ceremony,"

"Ya Pepper looks gorgeous," Natasha agrees. She and Steve look over to Pepper who is dancing a hole in her heels. She holds he wedding dress up to keep it from dragging on the wood tile.

"Want to dance Rogers?" Natasha asks.

"Of course um-,"

"Natasha. My names Natasha."

--- --- --- --- ---

End.