Chapter 9

Chemistry took longer than expected, with Mr. Delay moving on to also bother Evie. Though he did have good reason, as she was fawning over Chad Charming who honestly could have been a stone statue with less the braincells. I didn't even attempt to lecture her on the fact she was wasting her time on the idiot, knowing she'd burn herself out trying to get his attention. Evie would eventually move, as she has with other boys on the Isle. 

Besides, even if she didn't I knew Mal would straighten her out. They didn't have time to associate with boys who will just end up either being killed or imprisoned as soon as the Isle's barrier is down and Villains take over. Petty crushes and 'love' like that was a nuisance, one that I intended to stay well away from. Connections only got you hurt.

"I can't believe you spoke to Mr. Delay like that! No one's done that in so long, you had the whole class in a spell I swear!" 

Speaking of nuisances. 

Raegan trailed beside me the whole way out of class, incessantly babbling about how amazing and cool  I was. I didn't think interacting with her would have her becoming something akin to a parasite in the way she just wouldn't be shaken off. Even my glares couldn't shut her up. 

"Princess-" 

"Raegan." 

"Princess, as much as you find it amusing that I snapped back at the teacher, I really need you to go away now." 

I came to a stop outside my locker, leaning against it with one shoulder. Raegan visibly slumped, eyeing me with an emotion I was all too familiar with. Hurt. Perhaps a lot more muted than what I was used to, but it was hurt all the same. 

"Oh, right...I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" She said, gaze bright at the prospect. I gave her a shrug, tilting my head. 

"Probably. We have the same classes." I muttered, not getting the desired response of her finally leaving. Instead she grinned, balling her hand into a fist and tapping my shoulder with it. I frowned, perplexed by the odd- what I assumed was a- show of affection. I swatted her hand away. Raegan's expression didn't falter, instead somehow brightened. 

"You know, having friends isn't all that bad." Raegan hummed, running a hand through her hair as she eyed me for a few moments. 

"Friends aren't on my to-do list." I huffed, "and I'm sure you have somewhere else to be. Scram, Princess." 

"Fine, I guess I'll see you tomorrow." She let out a sigh, however didn't seem to actually be resigning her mission to bother me. "Bye friend!" She chirped, eyes twinkling as she dashed away, waving a hand to some other princess as she left.

I didn't reply, of course, instead grimaced at the name. Touché, Princess. 

I began putting away my books into the locker. I had no intention of completing the assignments the teachers had set throughout the day, placing them away so they wouldn't even pry at my conscience while I set to achieve the next stage of the plan. Now I've interacted with Persephone that would speed it all up a bit. But knowing Zeus is a stubborn fool, getting his trust, along with the rest of the Olympians will be the longest and most difficult part of all of this. 

I had to think critically about it, deducing how they all react to one another, perhaps even gaining insights to their weaknesses. If I was being watched when I went to Olympus I couldn't let them see me, I had to form a mask and alias of some sort. Lying would cause complications, so I couldn't afford to do that, but telling only some and not all would do well to keep them off my tail. 

"So you've been talking with Raegan, huh?" 

I blinked from my thoughts to face a stranger. A boy, shorter than Hunter but still taller than me. Dark brown hair that was slightly dishevelled, with even darker eyes, he narrowed his eyes at me.