Chapter 2

"Would you just go away!" 

I growled, roughly throwing another set of jeans into my bag, the clothes coated with ash from the power I was currently using. "I don't need your worthless help you pathetic worms!" I further raged, kicking a pile of jewels to the side as Pain and Panic frantically scrambled around, tripping over themselves to assist me with my packing. 

I wasn't usually so cruel to them, but their whimpering and insistent need to get under my feet was more than infuriating in my current mood, making it much worse as they quailed at each insult I spat at them. Still, they were yet to stop tossing clothes into my bag, ones I wasn't even planning on wearing. 

They were all pretty summer dresses, colours of spring and warm weather. I hated them, but my father was always so quick to remind me that I could be getting nothing from my mother. That Persephone could have rejected me as hers and denied my very existence, but she decided to keep me as her own until Zeus sent Hades to the Isle, and me along with him. 

I scowled, folding my arms as I let Pain place jewellery into the bag. Again, I've never worn them, not on the Isle. They could be so easily stolen and I doubted either of my parents would appreciate such finery being dealt out amongst the lowest of mortals for scraps of bread.

Pain trembled as he held out my packed bag as Panic ran out my room wailing for Hades to come and soothe me before I killed them. I grunted, snatching the bag from the demon, slinging it over my shoulder. I didn't even bother with looking around my room. I couldn't wait to leave this place, even if it was to go to Auradon. I took a small breath to calm myself down, gripping the bag strap tighter.

The bag, one of the few things Hades had ever given me as a gift and not necessity. Dark grey fabric with false gems on it to form a skull. It was certainly nothing special, but I appreciated it all the same, and that was the very reason I was taking it with me. I kept it with me whenever I left the den for more than a day- which I did often- and it was worn with use. But, still, it wasn't close to breaking yet. 

"Ready?" I glanced at the door of my room where Hades was leaning against the doorway casually, all anger from yesterday unseen. I nodded. "Good. Come. I need to explain something to you." 

I walked over, shocked when his hand touched my shoulder. Discomfort jolted through me, unsure of the contact, and even more so when I waited and yet no kind of burn or pain came from it. Just a gentle hold, one that would be associated with a paternal figure, not a leader enforcing rule. I allowed myself to relax slightly, so he didn't feel how tense my muscles were.

"This is an opportunity for you to get back at Zeus and Demeter." He said calmly, giving no indication that he even held any emotion for this topic, while I bristled at the names, fists clenching at my sides. "You will accompany the other four in their task, but you will have a separate one once theirs is in motion."

I gave a small nod, taking slow breaths to stop myself from growing more angry than I already have been this morning. Zeus. Demeter. I hope they suffered in the knowledge I'm going to Auradon.

"You will reunite with your mother, no doubt." He said, a hint of jealousy peaking through his tone. I chose to ignore it, since it was his fault Persephone was seen as the victim and given the title of the good character compared to him being placed as the villain and abductor. It was his fault I was even here. Both alive and with him on the Isle. "And you will talk to her of the terrible climate this island has, persuade her to let you stay with her in Olympus. You'll then have access to Zeus, and protection through your mother." 

He paused, gauging my reaction. "This will take time, and since the barrier should be down before you get the full trust of Zeus, you will use their notions of my villainy to act as the victim." His tone took a colder turn, clearly reminded of the stories of abuse Demeter told Zeus to allow Persephone back to Olympus when Hades went to the Isle. I clenched my jaw, despising how easily he brushed over the truth that came with those stories. Not all, but many held truth under the fabrications.