Chapter 1

[Unedited] 

It was a normal day at first, I hadn't suspected anything different to happen, not when the world was as sombre as it always was. The Isle was bleak and grey as ever, jagged rocks tumbling off the sides into the inky sea. Sea foam, grey and thick with heavy pollution sloshed against the cliffs, the occasional splash hitting my worn sneakers that shone just for a few seconds before the debris collected on them, turning the sleek black a dark brown. 

They were my favourite shoes, the only ones that hadn't been ruined by the filth of the Isle so much. Oh and it got worse. I growled, the muck seeming to become concrete onto my black sneakers that were just minutes ago slick and shiny as polished onyx. What a waste, they had such promise as well. 

A small grunt escaped me, tossing another stone into the ocean that surrounded my prison, watching it sink under the midnight waves, never to be seen again. The darkness swallowed the grey, the light catching the stone turning it silver for almost a second. The splash afterwards was far from impressive against the loud crashes of the storm brewing above the isle, but it gave a glint of satisfaction knowing I could hear it over the roar of waves. A powerful throw. I hope it hit a fish and killed it. 

My hands searched for another smooth stone, coming out with sickly brown dirt covering my pale fingers, only grit remaining around me. My fingers dug into the ground, narrowing my eyes at the torn surf in front of me, tearing more rubble from the earth. Last night's downpour must have washed away all the worthy stones into the sea, removing my ammunition from my grasp. I would go get them if I knew I would survive the jump. I scowled before sighing, tossing my head back to glare up at the sky, dark clouds rumbling with thunder over me. 

"Oh screw you, Zeus." I hissed, shaking my head as I rose to my feet. The wind whistled through my hair, the deep blue strands brushing my cheeks, the grey streaks tangling in within the hue that would no doubt match the colours of the Auradonian's ocean. Rich and vibrant azure. Instead the dying shade of grey that represents the Isle's stormy seas. 

Thunder replied to my curse, however no lightning struck. A smirk flickered across my face, amused as ever that as much as he may rage over my being, he has no permission to touch me. The almighty god shackled. Father would be amused, I would think. I hope. Or else he would be aggravated that I've irritated his brother further. Zeus truly was in a bad mood today, and I made me wonder why the King of the Gods would be so angry. 

Perhaps Hercales died. Wouldn't that be a miracle.

"Haden!" A voice called. I kissed my teeth, flames rising through my body, hitting the barrier of my skin. The hiss of flames echoed in my ears as thin smoke swirled in the air, quickly being swept away by the wind. No fire came from my body, nor did the ground beneath me reveal the jewels of the earth like they would have if I were anywhere else. No souls appeared to comfort me in my time of anger. Nothing.

"What!" I snapped back, turning to face a familiar blue haired beauty from the other side of the isle. A bright smile lit up her face, however it faltered at my scowl. I took a slow breath and smoothed out my features, schooling my expression to be a mask of cold annoyance, the kind that told people to back away without being aggressive. 

"I uh...well...um..." Evie stammered, her flushed cheeks turning a vibrant crimson, big doe eyes clearly intimidated as she shuffled a little closer, "Maleficent wants to see you. Hades is already there, it's about Auradon." 

I raised an eyebrow, the only indication I dared give of my interest being piqued. About Auradon? What could it possibly be that would bring Hades and Maleficent to be civil in one place? Gods, he must he stewing over his next escape this very second.