Chapter 26 | First Date

A/N I couldn't hold myself! Here's the last chapter in Sophie's pov.

Ugh. Could Keefe have been any vaguer? Sophie scowled at his note.

Dinner. Wear something pretty.

Pretty? So... a ballgown? Or just not her old tunic and leggings? Sophie had no clue. So she made a decision that she knew she'd regret. She hailed Biana.

*****

"OHH!" Biana squealed loudly. "This is PERFECT!"

Sophie glared at the dress Biana was waving in her face. "Biana, no."

"Biana yes! It would look SO good on you! And it's ice blue!"

Sophie groaned, her hands over her face, then spread her fingers to look again at the dress. It was ice blue and was sleeveless with a high halter neck. There were tiny drop-shaped diamonds all over it, especially the top, and Sophie didn't even want to think about how much they'd cost.

"PLEASEEEEEE, Sophie?" Biana begged. "Keefe will love it!"

Sophie sighed. "Fine. Just this once."

"YAY!" Biana squealed, bouncing on her high heeled shoes. She shoved the dress into Sophie's hands. "Here! Put it on! I'll work on accessories!"

Sophie shook her head, but laughed a little as she made her way to the bathroom and slipped the dress on. She looked at it in the mirror. It fell nearly to her ankles. It was silky against her skin and felt lighter than she expected. The jewels bumped together slightly as she moved. When she emerged from the bathroom, Biana sighed. (The dress on the top)

"That looks amazing, Sophie. Here, put these on while I do your hair." Biana handed her a pair of beautiful teardrop diamond earrings like the ones on her dress. Sophie carefully put them on in the mirror while Biana swept her hair up into a complicated updo that ended looking sweet and effortless, but really pretty.

"You're a genius, Biana." Sophie smiled at her friend. "Thanks."

"Don't thank me yet! We still have the makeup!"

"Not too much, okay? I want him to recognize me."

Biana clucked, but agreed. "Fine." She grabbed her bag, rifled through it for a minute, and pulled out several bottles and dishes and brushes that Sophie couldn't begin to know how to use. Biana applied creams, mascara, blush, eye shadow, lipstick, and some things Sophie couldn't even name. When she was finished, she leaned back. "Sweet, elegant... but still Sophie. I must say, it looks pretty good." She laughed lightly. "What are you waiting for? Go to your date!"

Sophie gave her friend a quick hug. "Thanks, Biana. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Probably wear the same thing every single day. But if anyone can pull it off, it's you."

Sophie blushed. "Right."

"It's true!" Biana said cheerily. "And I know Keefe thinks so. Speaking of Keefe, you'd better not keep him waiting!"

"You're right. Thanks again." And Sophie quickly hugged her again before grabbing the plain crystal Keefe had left and leaping away to meet him.

*****

Sophie looked around in wonder. She seemed to be in front of a fancy restaurant, bigger than a human palace and twice as fancy. She gaped for a moment before turning and noticing Keefe leaning against the wall. Something seemed off about him, but she couldn't put her finger on it. He was staring at her, his mouth open a little.