Chapter 33 | Wedding

Sophie took a deep breath, knowing she was tugging on her eyelashes but not able to stop. Biana was holding up different dresses to her, trying to decide which one 'complemented Sophie's complexion' best.

Sophie resisted a sigh as Biana pressed yet another pearly white dress decked with diamonds to Sophie's face. Elves didn't wear white to weddings- they didn't even have weddings the same as humans- but when Sophie had told her friends what she'd grown up with, they'd insisted she do it this way.

The dresses had an elvin flair though, decked with jewels and layers of tulle and lace so puffy Sophie didn't think she'd be able to get close enough to Keefe to say her vows. But Biana assured her the dress would bend.

"And swallow him whole!" Sophie persisted. "Seriously B, no one will even be able to see him! He's getting married just as much as I am!"

Biana clicked her tongue and shook her head. "But you are the bride. And this is how humans do it. So this is how we are doing it."

Sophie almost asked if that meant elves didn't wear these ridiculous dresses, but she knew that no matter what they did, Biana wasn't letting her wear anything but one of these fluffy monstrosities.

Finally, Biana ran out of dresses. She held up her top three and frowned. "These are all so perfect! How am I supposed to choose just one?"

Sophie faked a bright tone. "Maybe, I should wear one dress for the vows, another for the reception, and the last one on my honeymoon!"

Biana shot her a look, then brightened. "Actually, it isn't a bad idea for you to change for the reception. You wouldn't want to get cake on your vow dress."

Sophie groaned, but at that moment she was saved by a knock on the door. "Can I come in?"

Biana scrambled to put away the dresses, then skipped over to the door and opened it. Keefe stepped in, dressed in his own pressed brown suit. He held out his arms and turned in a slow circle. "Whaddaya think, Foster?"

She suppressed a giggle and held one finger to her chin as though in deep thought. She stepped off the round platform and walked a slow circle around him, tapping her chin and frowning. After two loops, Keefe groaned. "Just tell me or I'll read your emotions."

Sophie grinned and stepped up to him to play with the flaps of his collar. "Dashing. As always."

He smirked back. "And when do I get to see your dress?"

She clucked her tongue in mock disapproval. "Keefe, Keefe. Don't you remember? Not until the wedding!"

He stepped closer to her and whispered right in front of her face. "All the more reason to wish it was today."

"It's just a week, Keefe. It's not like I'm making you wait years."

He pouted. "It feels like years."

She grinned, then remembered Biana standing behind her. She looked over her shoulder to find her friend, hands clasped, with a dopey grin on her face. Sophie covered her face with her hands. "Ugh, why does everything about this have to be so embarassing?"

Biana threw up her hands. "You're getting married, Sophie! You don't have to be embarrassed about being absolutely adorable." Then she stepped forward and pushed Keefe out of the room. "Now shoo. We have wedding dresses to pick."

*** Next Week ***

Sophie took a deep breath, feeling like she might vomit. She had expected to be nervous on the wedding day, but now that she was actually here, about to walk up to Keefe- and Bronte, who was officiating- it all felt so real. And that wasn't a bad thing. She wanted it to be real. But...