Chapter 16 | Water Tricks

A/N How old are you? I'm 16. I'm not trying to be creepy, I just want to get to know my readers more!

Sophie ran into the hallway and slammed the door to study hall behind her. She would never forget the staring prodigies and Fitz's mocking face behind her. But she pushed it out of her mind. Right now, she had a fuming and humiliated boyfriend that she needed to talk to.

She looked around for Keefe, but didn't see him. So she walked down the halls, calling his name. No answer. She sat down on a bench and stretched out her consciousness.

Keefe? KEEFE? I know you can hear me, Keefe.

A minute passed.

Foster?

Yes, Keefe. We need to talk.

I know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have run off.

I get why you did. But we need to talk now.

Kay. At our spot. And he severed the connection.

Sophie sighed. She didn't know why she had stopped the fight. Fitz deserved that- and more. But... Sophie had been worried about Keefe. She knew he wouldn't want to seriously injure Fitz. But Fitz didn't seem to have the same reservations. Sophie knew Keefe would win in a fair fight, but... Fitz wouldn't fight fair.

So as she made her way to their spot, she wondered what she would say. She was so consumed in thought that she didn't notice Keefe laying on the bench to her left.

"You must be lost." he said with a smirk.

She whirled around to face him, then smiled in relief. He didn't seem to be mad at her.

Keefe stood up and touched her face, then frowned. "What's wrong? You feel..." He closed his eyes in concentration. "Are you scared? Scared of... me?" He opened his eyes and looked at her. "Sophie?"

"No, Keefe. Not... not scared. Apprehensive is better. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made you stop. You have every right to be mad at me. I humiliated you in front of everyone, and-"

He cut her off. "Sophie."

She tried to continue. "I'm really sor-"

"Sophie! Listen to me!" He stepped closer and tilted her chin up so that she was looking him in the eyes. "Why on earth are you apologizing for not letting me get beat up?"

"I-"

"Sophie, we both know I didn't have a chance. I was just hoping to get a couple punches in and make him pay for... that. It was stupid of me. I was trying to be the hero again, and I'm sorry."

Tears came to her eyes. "You're not mad at me?"

"Couldn't be if I tried." He looked at her for a long moment. "I was doing it for you, you know."

She laughed through her tears. "You are stupid."

"I know." His hand traced up her face into her hair, and he placed his other hand on her waist.

He leaned forward and whispered in her ear. "If you hadn't been there, things would've gotten pretty messy."

"I bet Fitz would've looked worse at the end than you."

"Maybe."

"Not that you could ever look bad."

He pulled back a little to look at her and grinned. "Cheesy."

"Maybe."

He laughed, pulled her in, and kissed her. Sophie leaned in, losing herself in his arms. All she could feel was him holding her tight and kissing her like there was no Fitz, was no fight, was no world outside. Time seemed to stop, and the next thing Sophie knew the bell was ringing. Neither of them pulled away, though. Neither could bear to move. So Sophie simply whispered, "We should go to our last session."