Chapter 23 | Broken

A/N Sorry I didn't update! I was busy reading the After series by imaginator1D. It's so good! But, on to the story! Also, 2K views?! Already!? Thank you!

When Sophie walked in on Keefe tied to a chair, bleeding and barely conscious, with a knife to his throat, only one thought ran through her head.

Not again.

His mother didn't get to do this again. Hurt him like this. He looked so defeated, but also defiant, like he knew it was hopeless for himself but was determined to make sure no one else got hurt. Make sure she didn't get hurt. And it nearly broke her heart.

Sophie would forever be glad she had stayed with Sandor. Only his quick action saved them. But... Lady Gisela and the other figure had gotten away. But no, none of that mattered. Keefe's mind was broken.

*****

Keefe? Keefe? Keefe, please answer. I need you to come back. Keefe?

Sophie had been transmitting for the better part of an hour. She hadn't gotten any reaction. She felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Sophie, we should wait until his mind has settled some. I'm sorry, but he isn't strong enough yet." The voice barely registered. Sophie pushed it away, and dove back into Keefe's mind.

Keefe? Keefe, I don't know if you can hear me. Please don't give up. I will help you, I promise. But we have to wait until you're stronger. So rest, and don't give up. I love you, Keefe. Stay strong for me. She saw his thoughts spiraling, and realized she was seeing his guilty memories. NO, KEEFE! STOP IT. Don't you dare feel guilty. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm fine, you're fine, everyone's fine. I promise. Just keep yourself together a little longer. His thoughts calmed a little. Good, Keefe. That's right. Just sleep now. Sleep and rest. I can help you soon. I love you.

Sophie pulled away from his mind, sobbing. Arms held her and voices comforted her, but she barely noticed. Keefe was broken. Broken. And judging by his memories, it had been from guilt over her. Her fault.

Suddenly a sharp pain on her face brought Sophie to her senses. Her vision cleared enough to see Mr. Forkle standing over her. "Sophie, snap out of it right now. It is not your fault Mr. Sencen is broken. He gave into his guilt, and you must keep yourself together. Even if it's just to save him, keep the guilt out of your mind."

Sophie shook her head to clear the fuzziness, putting her hand to her cheek. "Did you slap me?"

"Only because your thoughts were spiraling desperately. We were afraid we'd lose you. It was the only way to wake you up."

Sophie nodded, then sat up quickly. "Where's Keefe?"

"Right beside you. You were holding his hand so tightly we couldn't separate you."

Sophie looked down to find that, indeed, her fingers were intertwined with Keefe's. "Is he ready?"

Mr. Forkle looked reluctant, but he nodded. "Yes. But I'm not sure-"

Sophie didn't even let him finish before she dived back into Keefe's mind.

Keefe, they say you're strong enough. I'm going to heal you now. But you need to trust me.

I trust you, Sophie.

Sophie nearly cried in relief. Keefe! You can hear me! I wasn't sure. Okay, I'm going to heal you now, but I need you to remember one thing. Ready?

Yes.

Okay. Just think this to yourself: It's not my fault. Repeat it with me. It's not my fault.