Chapter 10: Birthday Dinner

Chapter 10

"You're late." My dad said as I slid into the kitchen.

I offered a soft smile, standing next to Wesley as he talked to Uncle Lewis.

"Where were you?" My uncle raised his eyebrows with a laugh.

"Out." I replied, quickly moving over to talk to Jane and Aunt Kelly. I wasn't going to get stuck in a conversation with adults wondering where I was.

My mother and aunt were different. They could care less where I was.

But they were busy talking about their jobs or whatever.

I stood there in silence for about a minute, but eventually got bored with things that I didn't understand.

This was on track to turn out a lot like my birthday party did, with me all alone.

Wow I couldn't believe that was just last night...
It seemed like an eternity since Logan came in and saved me and ended up staying the night.

If only something had happened with us...

But at the same time, it would be an awful idea for us to do anything too quickly and ruin our chances of getting back to normal.

I quickly pulled my thoughts back to what was going on in the room.

I scanned around the kitchen filled with my family.

Jane and Aunt Kelly were talking by the fridge, so getting food was out of the question.

Mark was talking to Heather and dad on the other side of the kitchen.

Henry was sitting with Marisol and Kelsey at the kitchen table while they did a puzzle or something.

And Wesley was talking to Uncle Lewis.

I felt a frown cross my face. I thought my dad had said that Michael and Justin were driving in for dinner...

Weighing my options of who to talk to in the room, I eventually settled on Mark, dad, and Heather.

Even though I'd spent the day with them, I felt like I'd actually be included in that conversation.

"Where are the twins?" I asked my dad as I walked up.

"Oh they're gonna be late. Michael called to tell me that he's bringing his new girlfriend apparently." My dad said. "I'm going to talk to my brother."

Mark and I exchanged looks as dad walked away.

"Michael has a girlfriend?" Mark laughed, raising his eyebrows.

"Weird." I shrugged, turning to Heather to strike up a conversation.

She happily talked to Mark and I, telling us about her job as a kindergarten teacher in Ohio.

~*~*~

"I guess we can just eat now." Jane suggested, looking around the kitchen.

Nobody protested.

A frown crossed my face.

I wanted the entire family here... And it was extremely weird to be at a family dinner with dad and Jane in the same room, Heather here, and not all of my brothers here.

It wasn't normal and I didn't like it.

"Hey hey sorry we're late." I heard Michael say, walking in through the back door.

There was a small girl behind him, holding tightly to his hand.

Justin came in next, a grin spreading on his face.