Chapter 19: And Everything Was Calm...

Chapter 19

Present Day

Logan took a deep breath, running his hands through his hair. 

“That day went in the completely wrong direction, Marley.” Logan said softly. “When I said we could see other people, I wasn’t saying that was what I wanted, I was saying that it was what you wanted clearly.” Logan sighed.

“What the hell does that even mean?” I asked quietly, my eyes not breaking from his. 

“I was trying to say that if you wanted to be with other people, and if you still didn’t love me, then there was no point in us carrying on in a relationship like that.” Logan sighed. “But it came out the completely wrong way and it made you think that I was the one who wanted to be with other people.” 

I stayed silent, rubbing my hands over my arms. 

“That doesn’t mean I’m okay with what you said.” I said softly. “We could’ve done long distance.” 

“It failed for Mark and Nicole.” Logan pointed out. 

“Well yea but they’re back together now.” I shrugged. 

Logan sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. 

“That should’ve been us, though.” Logan said quietly. “Dammit Marley we should’ve spent the summer together and we should’ve been the power couple that was still together at the beginning of school.” 

“That was Wesley and Grace, because he’s the good kid of the family or whatever.” I shrugged, shifting my weight on my feet. “And he didn’t get sent all the way to North Carolina.”

“Yea but there is no reason that we couldn’t have stayed together…” Logan shook his head, running his hand through his hair. 

I stayed silent, looking down at my feet. 

This was the conversation that I was dreading since the end of summer. 

I could feel it in my stomach that this was the deciding conversation. This would make or beak us. And it seems like the obvious choice for us to get back together, but is that what I really want? We’ve been fighting so much lately…

“Well then what do you want?” I asked, looking up at him again. “Do you expect us to just pick up where we left off because it seems that as much as we try, the summer keeps coming back.” I crossed my arms, shifting my feet. 

“It doesn’t have to though. We can stop talking about it. As soon as this conversation is over we can be dating again and nobody has to talk about the summer.” Logan said softly. 

“Logan okay I don’t know if I can do that. Because for the month that I’ve been home, we’ve been stuck in this cycle of saying we’ll be friends and then we fight and then we say we’ll be friends… What if it’s still like that when we’re dating? What if Jenny, or Hannah, or any of the girls you hooked up with, what if they start stuff again? What if Chris or the twins or anyone from the summer comes to visit? We can’t just pretend that the summer didn’t happen.” I shook my head. 

“Then let’s talk about it. Let’s just get everything out there.” Logan said, sitting down on the edge of my bed. “So there will be no more questions or doubt.” 

I nodded, carefully sitting down next to him. 

“You first.” I said quietly, pulling my knees up to my chest. 

“Well about two weeks after you left I almost hooked up with Hannah, but nothing happened because I couldn’t stop thinking about you. A few weeks later I started hanging out with Jenny more, but nothing happened. I was just sort of keeping her there as a lame attempt to make you jealous. We hooked up a few times but nothing serious. And then you came back and yea.” Logan shrugged. “That’s everything. I promise you nothing else has happened with any other girls.”