Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

Draco was beside himself. "It should have been me!" he ranted for at least the dozenth time as he shoved the blasted wardrobe again. He laced his fingers through his hair, yanked, and closed his eyes as he tried to take a deep breath to steady himself.  

"No," insisted Hermione, causing him to open his eyes. "She was right, it was much more believable that we would leave her - you're a foot taller, two stone heavier and as far as they'd be concerned trained up to at least OWL level." 

Draco snatched his hands from his hair and slammed them down on the balding man's desk. "She was supposed to be right outside the door! We only lost sight of her for a few seconds and now they've got her and they'll be angry!" 

When he'd suggested his wardrobe plan, for everyone to hide and then have someone tell the guard they'd escaped, he'd fully intended to have himself be the bait. But Sarah had argued her point with such conviction, she'd swayed Ron and Hermione relatively easily. But the last thing Draco had wanted to do was put her in any more danger than he absolutely had to, he'd promised to protect her, he'd said the words to her face.  

He'd refused as long as he had because he also suspected there was another reason Sarah was putting herself on the front line. He couldn't help but wonder if she wanted some sort of payback for what had happened to her last November; after being taken prisoner, maybe she wanted to get one over on them, even if it wasn't technically the same people or even the same world. 

Eventually, Hermione had sworn they would abandon their hiding place as soon as whoever came left with the door open behind them, that way they could jump them from behind. But when they'd done just that, they'd emerged to find a deserted corridor waiting for them. 

"She's only thirteen," said Draco, feeling physically sick. "I'm supposed to take care of her - me - her dad asked me to, not Harry, and I've handed her over to be tortured!" 

"Now you listen to me, Draco Malfoy!" Hermione snapped, stamping her foot. He blinked in surprise. "Nobody wanted this to happen. We had a plan, and it went wrong. We're not going to help her by losing it here. We need to get out before anybody thinks to actually come back and check for us, then we can look for her, our wands, and anything else that will help us get out of this stupid place!" 

Draco stared at her. He'd never even heard his own Hermione shout before, not like that. It was pretty scary. 

Ron however didn't seemed phased at all. "She's right mate," he said, "we need to get going. If we get captured we'll end up right where we started." 

"Go where though?" he demanded. "We have no idea where they've taken her." 

"Anywhere," said Hermione, throwing her hands up. "So long as we're not here when they come back, we stand a better chance of remaining free to find her." She shoved her hands on her hips. "Now are you coming, or do we have to leave you behind?" 

Draco was instantly irked at the idea Hermione would leave him behind and take Ron, so he gritted his teeth. "Fine then," he said, then marched out the door. 

How had they disappeared though? Draco thought angrily as he stalked off to the left, back towards the elevators. He didn't think you could apparate in the Ministry any more than you could at Hogwarts. Unless there was a secret corridor or something, but without knowing exactly where or what those kind of things were impossible to find, so he didn't even bother to look as he stomped up to the lifts. 

"So where are we going?" 

Hermione chewed her lip and thought. "We know there are bad guys upstairs, so why don't we take a look and see what's down a floor?"