Chapter Forty Seven

Chapter Forty Seven

Harry couldn't breathe. Fear was gripping at his throat like cold hands squeezing the life out of him, his fingers were clenched so tightly around his wand the circulation was failing. Voldemort smiled. Ron made a noise that could have been a whimper or a gag. Harry didn't blame him for either. 

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said eventually. 

Voldemort creased his forehead; Harry suspected if he'd had eyebrows on that ghastly snake face of his, they would now be raised. "Really," he said pleasantly. "You don't know anything at all about parallel universes, alternate realities?" 

Harry licked his lips. "Why would I?" 

"Yeah," said Ron, sloshing forward a step against the returning waters, holding his wand up bravely. "You're the ones who emptied the file on Dimensional Hotspots." 

Harry couldn't help but let his head drop a little in defeat. Good old Ron, always putting his foot in it. But Voldemort didn't seem surprised that he knew about the Hotspots, he just smiled again. 

"Why yes we did," he agreed. "But there wasn't really much in that file my Seers hadn't told me already, but Harry here..." He extended his hand gracefully. "Well Harry here has been to another reality, haven't you?" 

Harry swallowed, trying to keep his face blank. "That's absurd," he said, letting a small laugh escape. "I don't know what you're talking about." 

"So," said Voldemort tilting his head. "You didn't visit a parallel world last November? Hm?" He shrugged his shoulders as if what he was saying was only mildly interesting. "I wonder in that case what you were doing those few days you were missing? Perhaps your friend here knows." 

He gave Ron an easy smile, then flicked his wand and send him crashing to the floor, holding him under the rushing waters. 

"Stop!" yelled Harry frantic, dropping to his knees to try and pull Ron up. "Stop it you'll kill him!" 

Voldemort held his gaze for a moment. "I have no wish to," he said softly.  

Harry pulled at Ron again as he thrashed under the currents, but he wasn't going anywhere. "Okay," said Harry. "Okay, OKAY! I went to another universe, let him go, please!" 

Instantly, Ron sprung back up to the surface, coughing up water and gasping for air. 

"There," said Voldemort. "That wasn't so bad was it?" Ron tried to say something in response but just ended up choking again. Harry waked him on the back and glared at Voldemort. 

"What do you want to know?" he demanded. "I sent myself there by accident, and then my friends in this world brought me back. That's it." 

Voldemort chuckled softly. "Yes," he said genially. "I'm sure that is it, in its entirety. But why don't you join me for a little further discussion anyway? Satisfy my curiosity?" 

Harry ground his teeth. "Fine," he snapped. "But Ron stays here, this is between you and me." 

"Oh," said Voldemort reproachfully. "But you're so much more cooperative when your friends are around. I think he should stick with us." 

Harry opened his mouth, but he realised they were no longer standing in the Ministry's archives. He and Ron stumbled as the pressure from the charging waters was suddenly removed, and he looked around at all the Death Eaters staring at him from around Courtroom Ten. His stomach sank. There were right back in the snake pit. 

At least it was just them, he consoled himself as he helped Ron to stand. At least the others had got away. 

"You see," said Voldemort, strolling around as a handful of Death Eaters lunged forward to take the boys' wands and restrain them. "I've been a little busy, peering into the future with my very talented Seers. They are so useful to have around, don't you find?"