Chapter Forty Four

Chapter Forty Four

Draco spun on his knees and froze. His father was looming over them, a triumphant smile on his face; until Hermione blasted him backwards into the surging waters. "Come on!" she cried, gabbing Draco's arm, but he thrust his hands into the water once more to find the sword he'd dropped. "What are you doing, we have to move!" 

"I might need it," insisted Draco. 

Hermione made to argue, then aimed another curse at his father instead, who swore loudly as he thrashed about in the water, trying to fire back at the two students.  

Mercifully Draco's fingers found the hilt, and he hoisted the blade from the waters and began retreating with Hermione. But Lucius was back up and shooting at them, so instead they ducked behind the fountain for protection. It was difficult with all the water roaring back into it, but it was better than nothing. 

"Young man!" yelled Lucius, splashing through the raging flow. "I don't know what you're playing at but it ends NOW!" 

Draco slung the sword through his belt and fired a disarming spell clumsily around the fountain. "I'm not playing at anything," he growled back as Hermione aimed a Bat-Bogey Hex at Lucius; from the sounds of it she got him square on, but Lucius was quickly shouting out counter-curses to fend off the hex. 

"You have disgraced this family," Lucius continued to rant. "You've thrown your lot in with Potter and if you don't come out this second I am disinheriting you!" 

Poor Other Draco, thought Draco as he tried another Expelliarmus spell. "You're a murderer," he snarled to his dad, he and Hermione skirting around the fountain to keep it between them and Lucius. "Disinherit all you like, you're nothing to me." 

Lucius had nothing to say to that, and Draco took that to be a bad sign. "We have to get out of here," whispered Hermione between spells. She was just flinging them around wildly now as they could no longer tell where Lucius was.  

"I know, I know," said Draco. "But I'm no match for him, we need to get his wand-" 

A blast of light hit him square on the chest and he went sailing through the air. "Draco!" screamed Hermione, but before she could attack Lucius she too was thrown in the air, landing a good twenty feet from Draco. Both their wands were now in Lucius' hand.  

Draco was really sick of having his wand taken from him today. 

"I'm not going to hurt you," fumed Lucius. "Not if I don't have to." 

"We're not cooperating with you!" screeched Hermione, dripping wet from the water rushing back into the fountain, and evidently also livid at losing her wand again. "We'll never help out Voldemort, you'll have to kill us!" 

Lucius raised his wand, and Draco balked. "NO!" he yelled, desperate enough to get his father's attention. "Forget about her, she's no one, it's me you want." 

Lucius stared at his son as the water raced into the fountain. It was very difficult to stand upright against such force. "Draco," he said slowly. "You hate this girl." 

Draco clenched his jaw. "That doesn't matter," he said carefully. "Just let her go, this is between you and me." 

Lucius bristled. "No one," he said sternly. "Is going anywhere except back down to the courtroom, conscious, or otherwise." 

Draco pulled out the sword from his belt. He knew it was useless against a wand, but it felt good to hold a weapon up to his father at any rate. "Take your best shot," he said. 

Lucius just stared, then looked between the two students. "Draco, I am your father. Have you lost your mind?" 

"I know exactly who you are," Draco spat back, watching Hermione edge away from the corner of his eye. "You are the most selfish, most manipulative and cowardly person I have ever had the misfortune of meeting, let alone being related to."