Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One

Sarah didn't know what happened. One second they were walking out of the balding man's office, the next they'd been in a corridor lined with Quidditch posters. Her knees gave way, and the oaf tried angrily to pull her up again but her head was whirring. "What happened!" she stammered. "Where are we?" 

She looked behind them and there was no sign of the office. No sign of Draco. Her stomach twisted in fear, he was supposed to come out and rescue her, it was all planned, there was nothing that could go wrong. "I thought you couldn't apparate in the Ministry?" she asked desperately. The man just yanked her arm until her legs had no choice but to walk.  

"No questions," he grunted. 

All the office doors were covered with memorabilia from different Quidditch teams, there were several Death Eaters hurrying about and most of them gave her suspicious looks as they rushed past. Sarah couldn't stop shaking. They were going to hurt her like last time, they would do...it would be.... 

The tears were falling silently down her face. She wanted to fight, she wanted to scream and tell them all they could go to Hell, but they'd taken her wand, and she was the smallest person she'd seen since they'd left the school. She didn't stand a chance. 

Why didn't she listen to Draco? He'd begged her not to be the bait, but she'd been so stubborn. She would never wish Draco to be in danger, but he could have at least tried to punch his way out. All she had was a foul mouth. 

Somebody screamed, and Sarah's insides flipped over so violently she was certain all the chocolate she'd eaten was going to come straight back up. They were hurting someone, it could be her next. "Please," she found her tiny voice whimpering. "Please, I don't know anything." 

The big man said nothing, which scared her even more. 

He threw open a door covered in paraphernalia for the Wigtown Wanderers, and Sarah had to give everything she had not to pass out. Bellatrix Lestrange was standing in an office whose contents had been pushed to the walls to clear a space on the floor. Sprawled on that floor, black and blue, blood running from his nose and mouth, was Sirius Black. 

"Sirius!" screamed Sarah, unable to choke back the sob in her throat. Sirius managed to lift his head and smile through blood soaked teeth. 

"Hi sweetie," he croaked. "Bells and I were just having a chat and a cuppa. You okay?" 

Bellatrix, flicked her wand angrily and him, and he jerked over in a shower of scarlet droplets. Sarah was crying uncontrollably now.  

"Stop it!" she screamed, ignoring the man's fingers digging into her arm. "He hasn't done anything, leave him alone!" 

Bellatrix acted as if she hadn't said anything and looked straight at the oaf. "What's the meaning of this Mane, I told you I was not to be disturbed?" 

The man, Mane, shoved Sarah to the floor, where she curled up on her knees. This woman was going to kill her in a fit of temper, just like that Death Eater back at Sirius' house. Mane explained what had happened when he'd gone back to the office and found only Sarah there, but she heard the words only faintly over the loud buzzing in her ears. She would never get home, she would never see her parents again, they would never know what happened to her. 

Bellatrix swooped down and dragged her from the floor by her hair, causing her to cry out. "LEAVE HER ALONE!" bellowed Sirius, scrambling from the carpet, but Mane aimed a malevolent 'Crucio' at him and he went back down in a twist of limbs.  

Bellatrix let her squirm for a bit whilst she studied her face carefully. "What's your name, little girl?" she whispered after a time. 

"Sarah," she said, not bothering to lie. She couldn't see the point.