Chapter 7 - Segments of a Smile

Dedicated to GrneyedIrishrose for being so awesome and helping me out with my typos. XD

Drawing is a could've been family photo of the Sangrar family if...ya know...Blethinette never went cray cray. Made by the lovely and talented catou15 from DeviantArt. ^^

 ^^

7.

Segments of a Smile

From his high perch on the apple tree's branch, Mundus could see the humans picking the apples below. He knew it would be a while before they reached where he was just as he knew they were not aware of his presence. He didn't understand his odd habit he had developed of sitting and watching the humans pick their apples, but it was one he had done since his arrival in the human world.

There was an intriguing fascination to how fast and well humans adapt when faced with such dire circumstances. Mundus half thought he was leaving them to die when he had left them protected behind his barrier. They were either going to starve or kill one another. And maybe some did, but Mundus saw no evidence of that now. The humans knew there was an evil beyond their own vices, and in that knowledge their unity caused them to flourish.

Mundus had seen their lush, giant gardens; their water powered generators made from old washing machines; factories converted into giant freezer rooms; and filtration systems for their water. Added to the fact that despite their language barriers, they settled on a strict and functional food and water distribution arrangement, the humans had indeed sealed their survival.

His father was right. Mundus scowled as his thoughts turned to his mother. Growing up under her spews of how ignorant and foolish humans were, the same words repeated to him for decades and centuries, had persuaded him to believe it. But not entirely. Faint memories of his father's praising words towards mortals had still lurked in his head and now more than ever they rang like a clamoring bell.

If it hadn't been for Ayame-if he had never given her that chance out of pure curiosity those many centuries ago-perhaps he never would have seen this side of humanity. He never would have met Reyna.

Mundus gave a small, close-lipped smile.

"Master!" Lina's voice hovered up to him.

He peered down to see her floating figure framed by branches and leaves, her hair billowing behind her like she was underwater. Worry wrinkled her face as she stared up at him with her lilac eyes.

Mundus frowned. Without Magika, spirits could not be contained in their weapons anymore and without that connection, the ability to sense them was lost. She had been paying him too many surprise visits.

He sighed. "What is it, Lina?"

A sheepish look crossed her features. "This one wanted to know how Master was doing. Master has been alone a lot lately since Master's human woke up. This one is worried."