Chapter 2 - A King Above Burdens

Dedicated to RaspyKae for all her support. She's a pretty cool chick that has an amazing talent for writing and was awesome enough to pick my stuff to read. :D

2.

A King Above Burdens

Auronmar was blind.

The whispering of his boots sweeping over grass was the only noise he heard, but it was a comforting sound, especially because it was accompanied by another set of sweeping feet. It was Blethinette that walked in front of him.

"Almost there," she said. "Are you nervous?"

He could hear the excitement in her voice and could picture the smile on her lips, but her own anxiety still pushed through. Auronmar shook his head though he wasn't sure if she saw it. "I think you are more nervous than I am."

She laughed. It was a sexy crescendo that ended on the same note it started with. Auronmar grinned at learning something new about her. Perhaps it wasn't so bad being unable to see. Or feel, or smell, or taste, or enjoy any other array of senses.

He knew the location of the Aqua Oscura was a secret only known to the Sangrar-born family, but he hadn't expected to be deprived as he was on his way to it. His Mahou had been sealed away as well. Auronmar was blind in more ways than one. The only sensory skills left to him were the ability to hear and, of course, talk.

It felt alien to be deprived of them. The only thing that kept his nerves at bay was the fact that Blethinette was standing by him. He didn't need to see to know she was there. He could feel it without having the ability to feel. Hand in hand, she guided him towards their destination; though it frustrated him he was unable to feel her skin on his.

He sighed.

"There is another reason why your ability to feel has been taken away," he heard Blethinette say.

"That sounds promising," he said.

"Mother is also as blinded as you, dear. Do not feel too distressed." Her tone offered comfort.

He smiled, feeling odd to not know when to stop pulling his lips.

"We are here," Blethinette said, her voice grim.

Auronmar frowned. This ceremony was what she had been waiting for for two and a half decades. A memory flooded his mind-if anything he was glad he still had the ability to reminisce. He remembered when a still budding Blethinette had bound up to him with a huge smile on her face.

"I'm bleeding," she had exclaimed.

At first he thought she was hurt and needed help. What she meant dawned on him seconds later, and he found himself at a loss for words.

"That means we can get married soon!"

Her cute face and shining eyes helped him find his voice. "Of course, princess."

After that, she was the one that arranged their meetings. It was amusing seeing the little princess fuss over her curtsies and speech in his presence, blushing when she realized her words were out of line or her manners were not up to par to what they should have been. She arranged to see him enough times that he had the pleasure to watch her grow.

He watched her bouncy and adorable etiquette evolve into a sophisticated and often intimidating poise. He watched as her awkward actions smoothed out into elegant movements that swayed him and at times left him aching. He watched as her smiles and gestures captured him. He watched as he found himself desiring to spend all his time with her.

It wasn't till the night before one of Blethinette's name days-staring at the gift he had for her, contemplating that it was not enough, nothing was enough-that he caught himself falling for the little princess. Only she wasn't a little princess anymore. She was a woman, and she was beautiful.