Chapter 12 - Reason of Misfortune

12.

Reason of Misfortune

Reyna woke up to the sound of the shower running and to an empty spot next to her. She was disappointed in not seeing Dante's sleeping face, but knowing him, he had probably woken up extra early to shower and make her breakfast. She smiled, thinking how she should make it for him instead.

Today was one of the four days out of the week where electricity was provided in batched hours for people to use. The thought of making eggs and maybe trying that pancake mix that was only a few months expired excited Reyna. Gauging by the light that filtered through the curtains from their one window, she figured there were plenty of morning electricity hours left. She stood up and stretched, but a sudden thought kept her from reaching the kitchen. Surprising Dante in the shower sounded more fun than making breakfast. Besides, she was already naked.

"Dante?" Reyna said with a naughty smile as she entered the bathroom.

He didn't answer, her voice swallowed by the falling water. She pulled back the overused shower curtain enough for her head to poke through. Reyna was met with his toned back, shoulder blades flexing as his muscular arms worked shampoo into his hair.

He turned around. "Reyna?"

She didn't answer. Her gaze was transfixed on his defined torso, how tighter his muscles looked when wet. Drops of water rolled over his collar bones, down his chest and abdomen, and fell between that "v" cut that—

"Reyna, my eyes are up here." Dante laughed, pointing at his face.

She blinked. Her face heated up, embarrassment robbing her of her courage to step into the shower. "I just wanted to see what you wanted for breakfast."

He grinned. "You."

Dante pulled her to him, the small size of the shower forcing them to press up against each other. The water was cold, as always, and Reyna felt the goose bumps rise so quickly on her skin, it hurt for a moment. Dante's smile widened, staring.

"Hey," Reyna said, flicking a strand of his wet hair, "my eyes are up here."

They kissed.

Their shower took longer than Reyna had planned and when she set out to make breakfast, she was thankful the electricity hours were still going. All they had was a toaster that half worked and an electric griddle. While Reyna cooked the last of their eggs and lumpy pancakes, Dante cut up a fruit cocktail for them.

Looking at the humble breakfast they were going to have reminded Reyna of when Dante used to have his Berserker appetite. This would've been nowhere near satisfying it. She smiled, giddy at the simple enjoyment she felt at sharing a kitchen with Dante. It was like they had been a couple for years. Living together in that tiny house for years. And maybe it felt like that because she had wanted this for years.

But she knew this was a happiness that would only last for days, if they were lucky. This current moment of bliss where the sweet smell of pancakes filled her noise and the sound of eggs frying bubbled in her ears was a veil that hid the outside world and its lightening infected sky. When she was alone with Dante in that house was the only time she felt true delight. Even though it only lasted a few hours a day, it felt like a lifetime. A lifetime that evaporated in the blink of an eye.

She peeked at Dante to see him cutting up an apple. His damp hair stuck to his forehead and neck, and Reyna caught a drop of water slide down his jaw. He didn't seem to notice it, his slight frown showing how absorbed he was in his work. He looked adorable, and Reyna felt she could love him just for that.

His eyes turned to her and he smiled. "What?"

Reyna giggled. "You're just too cute sometimes."

"Thanks?" He shot her a confused look.