Chapter 15

Jolie walked through the door full of anticipation. The air was redolent with the scent of fresh brewed coffee and cinnamon. Warren's Uncle Hal came forward took one of their totes and insisted he and Warren would take care of getting the gifts under the tree while she went to greet everyone.

Sue came forward and took her hands. "I'm so glad you came!" Sue and Beau's oldest daughter Katie wrapped her arms around Jolie's leg and stared shyly up at her.

"Hello Miss Katie. Merry Christmas!" The little girl colored and hid her face in the skirt of Jolie's dress but didn't let go.

"Katie honey, Jolie has to walk so you have to let go. We are going to see Gran in the kitchen baby." Katie released her hold and the trio walked through the house to the kitchen greeting and meeting family along the way. There were more faces but everyone seemed to have heard about her and was pleased to meet her.

"Oh we're a good bunch for the most part. I'm biased but it's really true." Sue chattered as they pushed through the kitchen door.

"Barb? Jolie and Warren are here!"

The older woman appeared at the door of the pantry. She looked very festive in a bright green Christmas sweater and jeans.

"Merry Christmas darling!!! I was just getting a bottle of Bailey's to doctor up my coffee. Care to join me?"

Jolie chuckled but nodded and set down the tray she was carrying.

"Oh what do you have there?" Barb poured Jolie a cup of coffee adding cream and a dollop of liqueur to it.

"Just a plate of goodies; some cookies, fudge and candy." She took the mug and inhaled the sweet aroma gratefully.

"Oh fudge huh? Did Warren see that you made fudge?" She gave an amused look over the edge of her mug. Sue was busy making herself a mug of cocoa and rubbing her stomach soothingly but paused when she heard fudge.

"He asked for it actually. It was what he wanted for Christmas. He has his own batch at home that he dug into this morning. That man loves his fudge. Cracked me up!" She got a case of the giggles just remembering his reaction to the confection. She stopped when she noticed both of them staring at her with thoughtful looks.

"What?" Worry tickled her insides.

"It's nothing," Barb broke out in a smile again. "You are right. Warren does love his fudge; it's just that he's kind of skirted around it the last few years. I think it reminded him of his mother. I'm glad he's finally gotten through that." She reached out and took a cube from the tray and popped it into her mouth. "Well if anything was going to do it this would be it."

Sue laughed and snatched a block for her and Katie to share. "Better grab ours now Katie Bear before daddy finds out!"

The girl nodded solemnly and accepted her piece. "Daddy likes candy and eats it ALL!" She announced around the brown mass rolling on her tongue.

Jolie toyed with the handle of her mug anxiously for a moment. She really felt like she should say something to the two women she now regarded as friends about Warren and herself but she didn't know how to start.

"There is something...." she began and faded. Both women paused their actions and turned to give her their full attention. Jolie took a breath and plowed on. She decided the most direct route would be best. "Warren kissed me during a snow ball fight and then we talked and admitted we had feelingS for each other and we are going to see where it goes."

Both women blinked in silence as they contemplated the knowledge she'd just shared.

"Well, I figured it would come to a head sooner rather than later. I'm happy for you both. You are both wonderful people who deserve to be happy. Just be gentle with each other, that is my only caution." Barb reached out and squeezed her arm gently. Jolie just nodded in acknowledgement and agreement.