Chapter 16

Jolie couldn't remember a day when she'd laughed so much. After a delicious ham dinner, a few drinks and several amazing pies the family members found themselves in a nostalgic state. She'd simply sat back and let the stories roll.

Stories of the boys' childhood shenanigans and confessions of parents and grandparents had brightened the moods of even surly Tommy and Caleb who'd seemed fairly down trodden all day. By the time Warren helped her pack up her booty and head for the truck she felt pleasantly exhausted and in bright spirits.

A thick frost had settled on everything turning the world into a glittery, silver fairy world after the sun set. Jolie leaned her forehead against the cold window and savored the sharp response of her skin. Even uncomfortable reminders that today was indeed real, were welcome. She needed reassurance these past weeks hadn't been a dream.

They arrived home. She moved from the cold air to the comfort of Warren's soft couch. The soft light of the Christmas tree ,aglow in the corner, made everything seem more intimate. Warren located the remote and turned on a country station.

"What? None of my IPod music is appropriate?" She teased. Sam Hunt's "Take Your Time" started to play. "Oh but I do really like this one so you are forgiven."

Warren extended his hand to her. "Dance?"

"Are you claiming to know how?" She gave him a speculative look.

He simply continued to hold his hand out until she finally took it and rose from the couch.

Warren brushed her hair back from her shoulders and helped her shrug off her cardigan before wrapping her up in his embrace. He held her close as they swayed from side to side. She was glad he didn't trying anything fancy. Just being held was perfect.

The song ended and another more upbeat song began. They continued to sway slowly about the living room. Eventually he pulled her in tightly to his chest and kissed the top of her head. He took a deep breath with his nose still buried in her hair.

"I'm going to retreat so we can stick to the slow plan," he pulled away until they were just holding hands. "Just so you know, this is torture. Sweet torture." He leaned in and kissed her soundly before breaking away from her again. He turned to walk away but she stopped him with a hand on his arm.

"Warren I....." An urgent need to tell him how she felt overwhelmed her. She lost the words. "Thank you Warren. Just....thank you." It didn't encompass all she had wanted to say but it was the closest she would get right now.

If he was disappointed, he didn't show it simply gave her that heart melting smile of his and disappeared down the dark hallway.

***

Things settled into their normal patterns after Christmas but with the added bonus of their growing intimacy. Neither party attempted to maintain their own side of the couch anymore. Warren found exploring each new soft expanse of skin he was allowed to access much more exciting than any show they decided to watch. Closing in on the New Year they'd somehow been able to maintain their desire to wait for sex but the frustration was mounting on both sides.

Warren left the range early and stepped through the doors of the town's only florist. He wandered the aisles of sweet scented, colorful bouquets and gifts unsure of what he wanted to get. He planned on asking Jolie to attend the big New Years Eve party at the community center with him. He wanted to do it with flowers of some sort in hand.

Eventually the owner Mavis took pity on him and approached. "Warren what can I help you with this evening?"

He tried not to take offense to the slightly amused expression gracing her face. She was a kind woman. If he remembered correctly, he thought she'd once attended the same book club as his mother on Thursday nights.