Chapter 21

That night Jake requested that he get to take Jolie out to dinner without Warren. Jolie was reticent but assured Warren that she could handle it just fine.

"Are you okay with it?" She looked up at him with those depthless green eyes searching his face for the answer.

"Do I like it? No, but if it's what you want to do then it's what is going to happen." He cupped her face in his hands. "I care about you, a lot, but I am not your boss. You make your own decisions."

Jolie stared up Warren's handsome face with gratitude. "Honestly, it will be wierd I'm sure but I can handle it. I won't be out late that is for sure." She rolled her eyes. "We are just going to the diner and I"m driving myself so I can cut out whenever I want. It should be fine."

Even to herself she sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than him. "I guess I am most concerned that he is going to want to talk about Luke and the olds day or he'll profess his feelings for me."

"I doubt he'll try to talk to you about Luke if he intends on spilling the beans. Reminding you of the love of your life before announcing his would be a stupid move." He moved his hands so that he could gently massage the base of her spine. Across the room he could see the clock and that she had twenty minutes until her dinner arrangement.

"It's wierd but you are the only person I've been able to really talk about Luke with. Maybe it's because you shared more about him with me than anyone else has." She sighed. "Or maybe it's just time. Maybe I'm healing. I don't know." She shrugged her shoulders.

"I'll always listen, know that. Whatever you feel, just notice it, feel it and then let is pass. Feelings don't have to take over if you don't let them." He continued to knead the top of her shoulders. "I hate to say it but if you are going to be on time you have to go."

She let out a heavy sigh and wrapped her arms around his neck to pull him in for a long hug.

"I'll have my phone right beside me. If you need me just call." He rubbed slow circles into her back. Finally she disengaged and picked up the keys from the counter they were leaning on.

She kissed him softly. "Be back soon."

She drove with the radio on low and tried not to allow her thoughts to get out of hand. Warren was right that she was likely imagining things to be a lot worse than they actually would be. If she just relaxed and let it be it might even be enjoyable.

Every since Warren had revealed Jake's apparent feelings for her she'd been on edge. In truth, after thinking about it more, she should have suspected it of him right after they'd met. After she'd met Luke she hadn't had eyes for anyone else.

She remembered the night she'd met Luke. It had been a casual department Christmas party so she'd worn her new silver cashmere sweater and jeans. She and Marie had been swapping stories and downing cosmopolitans at the bar when Dustin came through the door with the hottest guy ever beside him.

"Sorry I'm late babe. I had to finish up a report that is going to court tomorrow." Dustin pulled his wife in for a kiss.Then turned to the handsome man beside him. "You remember Luke of course? Poor guy had to sit and watch me type for an hour. He needs a drink."

Jolie watched Marie hug the man. He was taller that she was and he lifted her up as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Of course I remember Luke! How are you?" She didn't wait for an answer but turned to Dustin. "Baby go get you guys some drinks."

Marie turned back to the man waiting for her answer.

"I'm great. Just home on leave. I visited my parents and then came here to see you guys. Dustin said I'd have a good time here and he had a friend I just had to meet." Dustin reappeared and handed him a beer.