Chapter 28

The comforting, spicy smells of sausage, maple syrup, and coffee filled the hospital cafeteria.

Sue sat across from Jolie with a paper cup of herbal tea. She slowly and methodically dunked the bag in the hot water. As with them all, Jolie knew it was just busy work. They all needed a task to distract them for a moment, even if it was only to make a cup of tea they didn't really want.

After the doctor had delivered his news they'd all sat in shocked silence until an elderly female nurse had turned up to tell them they could go in and see Aunt Barb.

The boisterous and lively woman had looked much too frail against the stark relief of the big white hospital bed. The nurse explained Barb needed to rest as much as possible.  She advised them against asking her too many questions or trying for deep meaningful conversations as Barb was still groggy.

Despite her exhaustion, Barb's face lit up at seeing her family surrounding her bed. She reached blindly with her left hand. Hal automatically sought her empty hand and filled it.

"Wow. You guys are a terrible cheer up crew. If these forlorn faces are all I'm going to get I think I'd rather have a candy striper." She smiled, or tried to. The muscles on the left side of her face refused to answer the call of her nerves and stayed where they were. "Please tell me someone at least brought me chocolate."

"There is a gift shop down stairs. There will be chocolate in less than 10 minutes Mama. I promise you that." Caleb leaned in kissed his mother's face. "I love you Mama." He quickly turned his face away from the other family members and made a break for the door.

Caleb hadn't made a peep all morning. Everyone was quiet, contemplative, but Jolie had noticed Caleb as more withdrawn than the others. As the youngest, she imagined he was struggling with his own emotions as well as the expectation to appear manly in front of his older brothers and cousin.

Each family member had taken a turn holding her hand as they assured her of their love. Tommy broke down in tears mid joke and then announced he would never make it as a professional clown, he'd have to find a new professional goal. His announcement succeeded where his comedy failed as the room erupted in chuckles. Barb followed up with a few suggestions on how he could do his makeup.

No one made mention of her infirmities or the slur in her speech.

When it came to Warren's turn he pulled Jolie along beside him.

She was grateful. As much as Jolie wanted to speak and spend time with the woman she felt self conscious about taking time away from her blood relatives. Not that anyone appeared to feel any ill will about her presence that she could perceive.  Warren had silently solved the problem by wrapping his arm around her and insisting she remain by his side.

"Sweety you look tired. Have either of you been to bed yet?" Barb asked in typical motherly fashion as Jolie patted her hand softly.

"You know me Aunt Barb, crazy party animal. I kept Jolie up all night if you know what I mean..." He winked suggestively at his Aunt as Jolie elbowed him in the ribs.

Barb snorted with laughter. "Honey, he's going to need a lot more than the occasional elbowing to keep him in line," She directed at Jolie. "He's a rascal. I'm glad he's finally found someone to watch over him."

Jolie could feel the tears building in the corners of her eyes. Warren's arm tightened around her waist.

Caleb returned with a box of gourmet chocolate truffles. At Barb's request  Jolie cut one in half and handed it to the woman. Jolie tried to keep her features from showing the sadness she felt as she watched the other woman try to seem unselfconscious as she struggled to chew the confection.