Time-out 😓🤐

"I don't want it!" Haruhi screamed, shoving her plate of spinach away from her like it was poisonous.
"Haruhi! We do not act like this at the dinner table. Eat your food." Masaru pushed the plate back towards his daughter.
"I'm leaving. I have better things to do than this." Bakugo stalked back into his room. Haruhi whined and shoved the plate as hard as she could.
"I DON'T WANT IT!" She yelled. The plate slid off the counter, spilling food all over the floor. Haruhi snapped up.
"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to! I'm sorry!" Guilt flooded all over her as she watched her parents sigh. Masaru rubbed his temples and went to get a napkin.
"Haruhi, go to the time out chair," Mitsuki said icily.
"No, I'll be good, promise! I'll eat the 'pinach and everything! I don't want to go, Mommy!" She whined.
"Haruhi! I need you to listen right now. If I don't see you on that chair by the time I count to three we're going to have an issue. One-" Mitsuki stared at her daughter, who was currently frozen in her seat.
"Two-" Mitsuki raised her brow in a silent "Are you really doing this right now?" Haruhi sat staring at her, not moving an inch.
"Three." She let out another long sigh before walking over and grabbing her daughter's wrist. Haruhi unfroze as she was pulled out of her chair.
"Let's go. That little stunt earned you 3 extra minutes. You're at 7 right now." Haruhi started pulling back.
"Mommy! No, no, no! I don't need to be on the chair! I'm good now, really good!" She pleaded.
"Haruhi, if you keep yelling like that I'm going to keep adding time. You've gone up to 8 minutes." Mitsuki warned. With that Haruhi started crying, letting the tears roll down her face quietly. Mitsuki placed her down on a small kids' chair.
"Alright Haru, that's 8 minutes on the chair. And I better not see you running off or there will be serious consequences. I'm not joking." Mitsuki walked away from the chair (and Haruhi's line of vision) and back into the kitchen. Immediately, Haruhi started sobbing. This wasn't supposed to happen. Daddy had even said that she could have ice cream after dinner if she was good! And she had messed it up. They were probably never going to come back. She curled in on herself. Why would anyone come back after how she acted? She had messed everything up. Bakugo peeked his head out of his room, glancing down the hall at his sister, who was bawling.
"Haru, what's your problem?" He asked. She continued sobbing. He sighed and walked into the living room, grabbing a stuffed animal from off the couch and walking back to the hallway. He chucked the toy at his distressed sister and walked back into his room, resorting to putting on loud music and blaring it through his headphones. It hit her square in the face, startling her out of her thoughts. She squeezed the stuffed bunny as tight as she could.
"Snuggles, 'm really sad right now b-because Mommy p-put me in th-the t-timeout chair and she's n-never coming back-ck." She whispered into the soft material. Snuggles continued to stare at her blankly. In the kitchen, Mitsuki and Masaru listened to their daughter wail while they watched the eight-minute timer tick down.
"Honey, maybe we should get her out early, I think she learned her lesson," Masaru suggested, already getting out of his seat. She caught his arm before he could go any farther.
"I don't like listening to her cry any more than you do, but she has to stay for the full eight minutes. We'll coddle her later." She said miserably.
"Can I at least be the one to go get her?" He asked, knowing what the answer would be. She smiled.
"Not a chance." The timer blared in front of them, causing both parents to exhale. Mitsuki stood up and walked into the hallway. Haruhi was crying loudly into her favorite stuffed animal, a rabbit toy affectionately dubbed Snuggles. Mitsuki chose to ignore the fact that the animal was not there when she was put on the seat.
"Alright, Haru, you're time is done." With those words, Haruhi was out of her chair and running into the open arms of her mother.
"Mommy! I thought you were never coming to get me!" She sobbed into Mitsuki's shoulder, holding onto her neck like a lifeline. Mitsuki walked over to the couch and sat down, rubbing little comforting circles around her daughter's back. She whispered small loving words into her ear until eventually, her cries turned into sniffles. As much as neither of them wanted to, Mitsuki pulled out of the embrace and faced Haruhi towards her.
"Baby, do you know why you were in the timeout chair?" She asked, looking her in the eyes. Haruhi wiped her face and took in a deep breath.
"Because I'm bad." She said glumly. Mitsuki shook her head.
"No, Haruhi, you aren't bad. You made a bad choice but as long as you try and work on it you will never be bad in my eyes. You were in timeout because you yelled and pushed your plate off the table." Haruhi visibly wilted as she brought up her past crimes.
"Can you tell me why that's bad?" Mitsuki prodded.
"It hurts people's feelings?" Haruhi guessed, hiccuping.
"Right on the mark kiddo. Next time what should we do when we don't like something?" Haruhi hung her head in shame.
"I'm 'posed to say 'no thank you'" Mitsuki smiled warmly and tilted Haruhi's head up.
"No need to get upset. We're going to put this behind us and move forward. Do you want to go apologize to Daddy?" Haruhi nodded. Mitsuki stood up with Haruhi still sitting in her arms. She walked into the kitchen where Masaru sat at the table waiting for them. He had been listening to the conversation going on in the room next to him and was desperately trying to seem like he hadn't been.
"Do you have something to say to Daddy?" Both parents gave encouraging smiles as she looked into the eyes of her father.
"'M sorry I hurt your feelings, Daddy." She said, reaching out to him. He took her into his arms and they embraced. She melted into his arms.
"Are you hungry?" Masaru asked, bouncing the girl up and down. She giggled.
"I can have yogurt?" She asked, phrasing the statement as a question.
"Sorry baby, yogurt is a snack, not dinner. We still have food from dinner that you can eat." Masaru ruffled her hair and sat her down on her chair. She immediately looked around. She didn't want to sit alone. She wanted to be held again!
"Wait," She yelled, running up to her father and tugging on his shirt, "We can go together?" He held in a laugh and scooped her up. She was always clingy after being in the timeout chair. He made her a plate, skipping over the spinach and replacing it with broccoli, something he knew she liked.
"See, Haru? You don't have to eat the spinach if you don't want to. You can have broccoli if you want. All you have to do is ask, ok?" She nodded. Dinner (take #2) went a lot smoother.