Chapter 47

About an hour after breakfast, I am walking through the barn when I hear a sniffling noise coming from Dakota's empty stall.

I poke my head inside, and see Chrissie, huddled in the corner of the stall, hugging her knees to her chest. Her eyes are red, and she's obviously been crying.

Normally, I'd go get Avery, as he has a way with her. But he's not here. No one has seen him, or his car, since this morning.

"Chrissie?" I say lightly, opening the stall door.

She looks up at me, and wipes her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Why are you crying?"

"It's nothing," she says.

"People don't just cry for no reason."

"You do," she states.

I furrow my eyebrows together.

"What do you mean?"

"I walked by your room the other day. Your door was cracked open, but I saw you. You were sitting on your bed, crying. Was there a reason?" she asks, diverting my attention away from her. I remember that. It was the day before yesterday, after Jace and Avery were fighting. I thought my door was closed.

I blush, embarrassed that she saw me cry.

"It was nothing," I reply, defensively.

"People don't just cry for no reason," she quotes, smiling at me.

I roll my eyes. "You wouldn't understand."

"Is it because Avery was being a jerk?" she asks.

At this, my eyes widen to the size of saucers. She doesn't wait for me to answer.

"My room is right across from Jesse's, and I'm a light sleeper. I heard you two fighting the other night. I heard that he kissed Tessa. Is that true?"

I find myself unable to speak for a moment, stunned that this ten year old girl picks up on so much. Finally, I find my voice again.

"Yeah. It's true," I whisper.

"Were you and him together?" she asks.

"Chrissie, I don't want to talk about this-"

"So you were together!" she exclaims.

"Oh my gosh, Chrissie, hush!"

She smiles at me, the tears completely gone from here eyes. Suddenly, the frown dissolves.

"You're not anymore though," she sighs. Then, as an afterthought, she adds, "Poor Avery."

I tilt my head.

"Why poor Avery?"

"He's seemed happy lately. He was so sad before." She looks up with me. "I guess he'll be sad again."

"It seems like we're all sad here, Chris," I say, shortening her name to see how it feels. "Now, do you want to tell me what was wrong?"

Her sad eyes look up at me.

"I miss my mom," she whispers, tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

My heart breaks a little.

"I know you do," I whisper, wrapping my arms around her. I place a kiss on the crown of her head, and just hold her for a moment.

When I let her go, she wipes a few tears from her eyes.

"Are you going to be okay?" I ask

She nods her head slowly.