Chapter 34

I hear an alarm going off in the distance, but the noise is foggy and I make the unconscious decision to ignore it. I'm warm and comfortable and safe, and I don't feel like moving.

Even in my half asleep state, however, I feel a hold around my waist that is partially constricting my breathing. I tried to ignore it, but now that the alarm is going off, it has tightened, and now I'm being pressed against something. I try to pull away, and get a groan in response, making my eyes snap open.

Apparently, its not something, but someone who is holding me.

And that someone is not wearing a shirt.

I shriek, and pull away with as much force as I can muster, falling off the bed in the process.

Avery jumps up, but the surprise on his face is quickly replaced with amusement.

"And why exactly are you on the floor, Grey?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

I scowl at him, sitting up but staying on the floor.

"Why aren't you wearing a shirt?" I whisper shout, pointing at his bare chest for emphasis.

"I never wear a shirt when I'm sleeping," he shrugs, staring at me as if it were obvious.

"You were when I came in last night," I argue, crossing my arms over my chest.

"No I wasn't," he laughs.

"Yes you were!"

"No, I wasn't."

"Yes, you were," I snap, standing to my feet.

I run my mind over coming to find him last night, trying to make the memory less hazy when I realize-

"Oh, you weren't," I say, heat rushing to my cheeks in embarassment. "Oops."

"Plus, why does it even matter? You've seen me without a shirt before," he chuckles, patting the edge of the bed, gesturing for me to sit down. I comply.

"When we were swimming," I defend, rather loudly. "This is different. We were sleeping together."

"Yeah, say that louder," he jokes, sitting up. "I'm sure that won't give anyone the wrong idea."

I slap my hand over my mouth, realizing how loud I was being when I know that Laurel's room is right beside Avery's, and Jesse's is across from it. Hell, everyone on this ranch is a shout away. I'm surprised no one heard me yell just now.

I glance over at Avery's clock, and frown at it. It's 6 in the morning.

"Why do you wake up so early," I groan.

"Normally I go out to help Mom with feeding the horses, and turning them out. But I don't think I will today," he says, smirking.

"Why not? You assume I'm going to stay in here?" I playfully retort.

"You didn't seem too eager to leave last night," he teases.

"Avery!" I scold, pushing his chest with my palm. "That's so inappropriate!"

"What?" he laughs. "It's true!"

I roll my eyes, and stand to my feet.

"I'm going back to my room because I'm still tired and I have a feeling I won't be getting much sleep if I stay in here," I taunt.

"Oh, and that's not inappropriate?" he mutters, reaching for my hand and pulling me backwards so that I fall backwards onto the bed.

"Avery," I whine. "I'm tired! Plus, if someone goes to my room to wake me up and I'm not there they'll be suspicious."