Chapter 38

When I start to stir, the first thing I become aware of is that my hair is being twirled around.

I crack open my eyes and look up at Avery, who is watching me thoughtfully.

"Morning," I murmur, smiling up at him.

"Morning," he replies.

I adjust my position so that I'm turned towards him.

"I find it slightly creepy that you were watching me sleep," I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"You were asleep on my arm. I didn't want to wake you," he says, now pulling his arm out from under me.

"Oh. Sorry."

He smiles at me. "It's fine. So, should I be expecting you to climb into my bed every night?"

I chuckle. "Maybe."'

He leans down and presses his lips to my forhead. "I could get on board with that."

"Of course you could," I laugh lightly.

I look around his room, and my gaze lands on a calendar. I frown, and sit up, throwing my legs over the edge of the bed.

"I only have a month left before I go home," I say, my voice soft.

He sighs, and sits up beside me.

"Yeah," he says. "I guess you're right."

"I-" I stop, choosing my words carefully. "I'll miss you, you know.

He cups my face in his hands. "I'll miss you, too. But we still have a month. Don't worry about that just yet."

"Yeah. I guess I should worry about Jace instead," I snort. "You know, he still hasn't called. I swear, when I get home I'm going to kill him."

I wince at my own words. 

"Bad joke," I murmur.

Avery places a kiss on my cheek. His lips slowly move down my jawline until they meet with my own. I sink into the kiss, moving my hands up his back and into his hair.

A knock sounds at the door, causing me to groan in annoyance. I reluctantly pull away from Avery.

"I'll hide," I mumble.

As he gets up to unlock the door, I climb under his bed, sighing in discontent. 

Avery unlocks the door, and pokes his head out.

"Hey Tessa," he greets. 

"Hey," she pipes. "Can I come in?"

The green-eyed, jealous monster inside of me rises to the surface, but I fight it back. She's his best friend. It's nothing.

"Sure," he says hesitantly. She steps in and the door closes. "What do you want?"

"Well, I was going to come wake you up because everyones eating breakfast, but your door was locked- which would be weird, except I noticed Grace's door was open and she was not in her room," she chuckles. "So I figured out that you two were in here."

I smile and shake my head. 

"Hello Tessa," I laugh, pulling myself out from under the bed.

"Hello Grace," she says lightly, smiling at me. "Why exactly were you under the bed?"

"Just being careful," I say. "You're the only one who knows about us."

She smiles. "Now I feel special. Anyways- you two should go downstairs. Your mom made chocolate chip  pancakes."