Chapter 17

"I am so sore," I whine, stretching my legs. "Avery has been wearing me out."

Jace and I are face-timing on my iPhone, and we have been for the past fifteen minutes or so.

"TMI Grace," he laughs on the other end.

"Get your mind out of the gutter," I snap, a scowl coming to my face. "I have been riding Diesel like crazy for a week and a half now every morning, and I'm getting almost no where with Trigger. We tried doing his hooves yesterday and today, which blew up like crazy."

"Look at you talking like a horse crazy fifth grader," he praises in a high-pitched, girly voice. I roll my eyes, though a small smile comes to my face, before quickly disappearing.

"But I don't get why I can't just try and ride Trigger yet," I pout, flopping down on my bed, cell phone in hand.

"Listen Grace- it sounds like the horse is crazy. Do you really want to ride a crazy horse and possibly die?" he questions, raising an eyebrow. "Scratch that- with your luck, you would die."

A knock sounds at my door and I groan.

"Go away, I'm on the phone," I shout, wishing I had locked the door. Unfortunately, I didn't, and it flies open.

Thankfully, its only Laurel.

"Oh, hey Laurel. Sorry, I thought you were Ivy... or Avery. I don't know which is worse," I chuckle.

"Don't mind her, she's just in a mood," Jace calls, earning a glare from me.

"I could hang up on you any minute now," I shoot back.

"But you won't, because you love me. Now turn me around so I can see Laurel," he laughs. I roll my eyes but turn the phone towards Laurel, who has made her way from the door to the desk chair that is only feet away from my bed.

"Sorry about Jace- he has no filter," I appologize, slightly amused.

"It's no problem," Laurel chimes. "Hi Jace- I'm Laurel."

"Yes, Grace told me about you. She said you're fairly normal," he states in approval.

"Fairly normal?" she scoffs, amused.

"Hey, that's a big compliment coming from her," Jace chortles.

"Well nice to meet you Jace, but Grace and I have to go on a trail ride," she says sweetly, smiling at his pixelated image.

"Well have fun, bye," he replies. "Oh and Grace? Call me tomorrow, okay?"

"Of course," I laugh, before playfully calling "Bye Jace. Love you."

I hit the red end button, and slip my phone into my pocket. When I look up, I see that Laurel is raising an amused eyebrow at me.

"What?" I ask, laughing.

"Are you two together?" she questions.

"God no- Jace and I are just really close. We helped each other through a really hard time," I quietly reply, thinking of Chey. It feels like I'm always thinking of Chey.

She nods her head in understanding, and offers me a smile.

"Oh and Grace- you'll want to put on a bathing suit under your clothes," she chuckles knowingly.

"What- why?"

"Just trust me."

I shrug my shoulders, and tell her to wait outside while I slip on my navy blue bikini. The top ties in the front, and the bottoms look almost like a very short mini skirt. I slip on jeans and a black tank before heading out to join Laurel.