Chapter 10

"So what does this mean?" Devon asked tightly, breaking the silence. We were now sitting in the cab of his truck after we had gotten dressed again, and neither of us were talking. 

"I don't know." I whispered, resting my head against the head rest. I saw his hands tighten in the steering wheel, but his face remained blank. I didn't like this look on him. 

"Get out, Ode." He said through clenched teeth. I looked at him with furrowed eyebrows, not sure what he meant. Was he honestly kicking me out of his car? 

"What?" I asked, hoping that I had heard him wrong. 

"Get out of my truck." He said again, looking out the front windshield. My heart dropped when I realized that he was completely serious. 

"You can't be serious Dev." I shook my head, trying to keep the tears that were filling my eyes from spilling over. I touched his arm gently, trying to get him to look at me but he jerked away. I stared at him for a few more seconds, completely stunned. How had things changed so quickly? One second we were making love and now he was kicking me out of his truck? This was ridiculous.  

"Dev..." I tried again, failing in my attempt to hold back tears. He was acting so cold and I hated it. After a second he glanced at me, his face hard. I moved a little away, trying to get a better view of him and saw his mask break for a second and show how sad he actually was.  

"Please Ode, just get out. I can't do this anymore." He said quietly, closing his eyes. 

"Can't do what?" I exclaimed, getting a little panicked. I couldn't imagine my life without Devon, especially after we just did what we did. 

"I can't keep being your second choice! If you really wanted me, you would be with me and not Cody. Every time you don't choose me it kills me inside, and I'm done going through that pain." He yelled back, running his hands through his hair. "I love you Ode, but if you're never going to choose me then what's the point?" He added in a whisper. 

Right then I decided. It was always Devon whose feelings I was more concerned about. It was always him who I wanted to spend my time with and talk to. Sure, I always enjoyed doing that stuff with Cody, it just wasn't the same though. I loved Devon more and I always had. 

With these thoughts in my mind, I slid closer to Devon on the seat and gently turned his face, which had been glaring out the front window again, towards me. He still refused to make eye contact with me, and I smiled at how childish he was being. 

"Dev, you expected that once we had sex I would choose you didn't you?" I asked, trying to sound serious. I knew that was what he had hoped. He thought that if I was with him like that and not Cody then I would choose him. He wanted to keep me from going to comfort Cody hoping that I would realize I wanted to comfort him more. The bastard was right too, I thought unhappily. 

"I don't know, maybe." Devon shrugged in response to my question. I couldn't hold back my smile anymore. He was seriously like a child. 

"It worked." I whispered, looking at him seriously. That got his attention. He whipped his eyes up to mine, they were full of hope. 

"What?" He asked incredulously. I nodded, trying to make sure he understood. 

"I choose you Dev. I love you and I want to be with you." I repeated, stroking the side of his face. His eyes lit up as he caught my hand on his cheek and pressed it to his lips. 

"You just made me the happiest guy on earth Ode." He laughed, grabbing both sides of my face and kissing me on the nose. I smiled back, but then got a serious expression again. I needed to clarify some things first.